Thread: Ham Radio Deluxe lock up issue solved !

Default Ham Radio Deluxe lock up issue solved !

Good evening everyone,

This might be old information to some but its new to me so I thought I would post as it might save someone else a big headache.

I really like the Ham Radio Deluxe software and had been using version 5.24.0.38. I also down loaded the latest version 6 to trial with the intention of buying. I am using HRD to control my Yaesu FT-450D using a USB to serial adaptor plugged into the radio CAT interface.

I have been struggling with software stability. The rig control would run for some random length of time 5-20 mins an then lockup usually taking out the COM port requiring a PC reboot - very very annoying.

Anyway I raised support tickets with HRD in the US and after a bit of back and forth they asked me about my USB to serial adaptor which in my case had the Prolific chip set. Essentially they said they have had all sorts of trouble with this type of adaptor specifically the Prolific chip set. They recommended using either FTDI or Silicon Labs chip sets.

So to cut a story short I picked up an FTDI adaptor from Amazon for 9.88 and it has completely solved the problem. I have been running for hours using either the V5 or V6 versions of HRD without a single lock up !

Here is the adaptor I used to fix the problem :
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers and 73s,

Dave (G7IYK)
    Last edited by dtrewren; Fri 15th Dec 2017 at 20:54.

Thanks for sharing, one to keep in mind for other applications too.

Sadly, many of the Prolifics chipsets are fake. Usually the cheaper ones on offer, and applications are getting good at identifying these and preventing them from being used.

Kind regards,

Phil

Hi Phil,

This is very true, there are lots of fake FTDI chip sets to. In fact the latest FTDI drivers will detect a fake chip and the driver commits suicide - this can be fixed but worth remembering if all of a sudden everything stops working.

The Prolific adaptor I have is definitely (well as far as I can tell) genuine as was purchased via work not off of eBay or similar. Looks to me like HRD has some type of timing issue with this chip set. Strange because the same interface cable works perfectly with a whole range of other Ham and non-Ham software. Since installing the FTDI cable I picked from Amazon everything has been working perfectly without a single glitch even on the older V5 HRD version which using the Prolific cable went over every few minutes.

Now a happy Ham,

73s

Dave (G7IYK)

Further to my original post ....

I have been using HRD v5.24.0.38 for in-excess of ten hours now and not experienced a single lockup or glitch since swapping to the new FTDI cable.

I did as an experiment swap back to the original Prolific based cable and rig control locked up within five minutes .....

73s,

Dave