Thread: FTM-400DR external speaker ?

Question FTM-400DR external speaker ?

Just got a FTM-400DR dual bander and wondered why it includes a stereo to mono external speaker adapter ? Should I be using a stereo speaker set for the external speaker? I presume it must be setup for that. I had planned to use a Yaesu MLS-100 speaker.

Possibly to allow you to plug a set of headphones, which will of course be stereo with a stereo plug, into the socket. The adaptor would then allow you to use a mono speaker.

Just a guess but I've seen it happen in the music business.
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

Page 162 of the manual references adding an external speaker. However, it doesn't explain why you need to use the stereo to mono adapter when using a mono speaker. The way I heard it is that the FTM-400 (and the FTM-100 also) have a stereo output and the A band and B band audio come out on different sides, hence the need for stereo speakers or the adapter plug. If You connect a mono speaker and don't use the adapter, you will lose the audio from the B band of the radio.