Thread: FTM-400DR external speaker ?

Question FTM-400DR external speaker ?

Just got a FTM-400DR dual bander and wondered why it includes a stereo to mono external speaker adapter ? Should I be using a stereo speaker set for the external speaker? I presume it must be setup for that. I had planned to use a Yaesu MLS-100 speaker.

Possibly to allow you to plug a set of headphones, which will of course be stereo with a stereo plug, into the socket. The adaptor would then allow you to use a mono speaker.

Just a guess but I've seen it happen in the music business.
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

Page 162 of the manual references adding an external speaker. However, it doesn't explain why you need to use the stereo to mono adapter when using a mono speaker. The way I heard it is that the FTM-400 (and the FTM-100 also) have a stereo output and the A band and B band audio come out on different sides, hence the need for stereo speakers or the adapter plug. If You connect a mono speaker and don't use the adapter, you will lose the audio from the B band of the radio.

Default Thank you for the Replies

Thank you for the replies. Guess I need to re-plan my external speaker set up.

Quote Originally Posted by RickC View Post
    Thank you for the replies. Guess I need to re-plan my external speaker set up.
    Not really. Just use the provided adapter between the radio and the speaker and it will work fine. I'm using mono speakers with both my FTM-100 and FTM-400 and both work as intended by using the supplied adapter.