Thread: Longest DX to date

Default Longest DX to date

The ham radio gods must have been been active last night as I was able to make my longest DX to date from NC on 40m at 8167 miles to ZS6CCY in South Africa. Of course he had a much nicer antenna setup that I can only drool about, especially compared to my little off-center dipole and less than 300 watts of power.
    I realize that many of you hams have gone much further with less, so I thought I ask what is your best DX contact, band and what antenna & power were you and/or the contact using?

My best “heard” was 17001km on 380mW with my Comet H422 In V configuration.

This was into South East Australia with my Ultimate3s WSPR transmitter, but a nice spot.

I can get most places around the world: India, Canada, America, South Africa, etc, with 30w using JT65 and FT8 data modes. My JT65 is usually 15W.

When on phone I never go above 100W, which gets me around 3500 miles, as a rough guess. Not checked for some time what my best is., though conditions aren’t really that great at the moment.

10m got me heard in the Falkland Islands, recently, but I didn’t have an exchange. Mostly I am on 17m, 15m, 20m.

Kind regards,

Phil

Kerguelen Island from Las Vegas. Basically the antipodal point. About 25 watts on 15 CW (Novice portion; 21.153 MHz if the crystal label was correct), 1959. 58 years ago this month.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

I'm surprised more folks have not talked about their DXing stories.
    I am not good enough with my CW to use it yet, but Vegas to Kerguelen Island (had to look that up) with 25 watts is amazing work.
    The best I ever did running 100w barefoot was just barely under 5000 miles to Serbia in Europe on 40m voice. I could often hear stations much further away clearly, but could never break that 5000 mile limit transmitting until I was fortunate enough to add a linear a few months ago. I try to keep the amp down under 300 watts until I can upgrade my coax & tuner, but just that little bit of extra transmitting power has helped alot.

I've not had an HF antenna for years, since someone kindly stole the 25' aluminium pole holding up one end of my G5RV (and my 2 year old son needed my shack for a bedroom - he still has it, 27 years later!)

I used to have a triband beam and thought that going 'down' to just a wire would put an end to things HF-wise. But a quick look through the logbook shows a VP8 Falklands and a ZP5 Paraguay in September 88, a JH0 Japan, a TU2 Ivory Coast and a 3DA Swaziland in March 1990, amongst a host of European, US and Canadian contacts. All running the TS930s barefoot - the 1990 DX QSOs mentioned were all on 10m. So wires and relatively low power can work, if the conditions allow. I wonder if I'll ever be able to do that again, given the declining band conditions.

Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

I also contacted ZS6CCY in South Africa last year on December 18th. It was my 3rd HF contact after just setting up my first station. I was using a G5RV at about 40ish feet with 100 watts.