Thread: Tuning reference frequencies

Default Tuning reference frequencies

Hi.
    Are there any radio tuning reference frequencies for calibrating a radio?
    camerart

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Hi W,
    This is interesting, but not what I am looking for. Am I correct that the frequency is 60KHz? What length antenna would I need to try it?

What I'm actually after is a list like this:
    155.500 MHz
    455.300 MHz
    7.100 MHz
    14. 300 MHz
    C.

Quote Originally Posted by camerart View Post
    Hi W,
    This is interesting, but not what I am looking for. Am I correct that the frequency is 60KHz? What length antenna would I need to try it?

What I'm actually after is a list like this:
    155.500 MHz
    455.300 MHz
    7.100 MHz
    14. 300 MHz
    C.
    Hello Camerart,

For the 60 KHz Frequency, one must know whether you're referencing a quarter wave length or a half wave length but either way it would be Km / Miles long. In fact I doubt you could find enough land to erect such an antenna in the U.K.

For the other Frequencies / Length of Antennas here's the formula: 300 Divided By Frequency in MHz Equals the Wave Length in Meters.

Dan
    WA9WVX

Quote Originally Posted by WA9WVX View Post
    Hello Camerart,

For the 60 KHz Frequency, one must know whether you're referencing a quarter wave length or a half wave length but either way it would be Km / Miles long. In fact I doubt you could find enough land to erect such an antenna in the U.K.

For the other Frequencies / Length of Antennas here's the formula: 300 Divided By Frequency in MHz Equals the Wave Length in Meters.

Dan
    WA9WVX
    Hi D,

My interest has waned a little regarding the 60K signal, my garden isn't long enough.

I think there is some misunderstanding regarding my question.
    When tuned to to other stations, some of us are slightly out with our tuning, so I need reference frequencies around all of the bands, so we can check who's out.
    C

Make sure any RIT and/or XIT controls are turned off. Then use the main tuning knob to tune in a station you wish to talk with. From that point, turn the RIT on and fine tune the other station if he begins to sound a bit high or low. Peoples' hearing is a bit different, especially on SSB, and what sounds fine to me might sound "off to you. That's the function of RIT. It adjusts the received signal but doesn't change the transmitted signal at all.

To really "calibrate" a receiver you need quite a lot of really expensive gear which ITSELF must be regularly calibrated by a certified facility. For general hamming, as long as you're sure your signal is within the band limits for where you're operating from, there should be no problem.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Quote Originally Posted by K7KBN View Post
    Make sure any RIT and/or XIT controls are turned off. Then use the main tuning knob to tune in a station you wish to talk with. From that point, turn the RIT on and fine tune the other station if he begins to sound a bit high or low. Peoples' hearing is a bit different, especially on SSB, and what sounds fine to me might sound "off to you. That's the function of RIT. It adjusts the received signal but doesn't change the transmitted signal at all.

To really "calibrate" a receiver you need quite a lot of really expensive gear which ITSELF must be regularly calibrated by a certified facility. For general hamming, as long as you're sure your signal is within the band limits for where you're operating from, there should be no problem.
    Hi P,
    Thanks, but when on a 'net' for example, where we need to tune for each individual as it goes round, it would be benefitial to find out which ones are out.
    C.

This isn’t critical for 2m or 70cm FM, as frequency are generally set rigidly, and you shouldn’t experience any drift.

HF, on the other hand, has many factors: old radios which have drifted over the years, old radios which drift as they get warm, individuals tuning to what they feel is ok for the,, etc, etc. This will result in several members of a net all being slightly off frequency, and you will never be able to do anything about it.

Most would just tune in between and leave it at that, otherwise you’ll be continually operating the RIT, and for what improvement? Some might be slightly off frequency, but as long as they are readable there isn’t really a problem.

With regards to which one is out, it could actually be you.

Kind regards,

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by pmh View Post
    This isnít critical for 2m or 70cm FM, as frequency are generally set rigidly, and you shouldnít experience any drift.

HF, on the other hand, has many factors: old radios which have drifted over the years, old radios which drift as they get warm, individuals tuning to what they feel is ok for the,, etc, etc. This will result in several members of a net all being slightly off frequency, and you will never be able to do anything about it.

Most would just tune in between and leave it at that, otherwise youíll be continually operating the RIT, and for what improvement? Some might be slightly off frequency, but as long as they are readable there isnít really a problem.

With regards to which one is out, it could actually be you.

Kind regards,

Phil
    Hi P,

The problem was highlighted, while trying a 2Mtr SSB NET. I've never used SSB to date.
    Who is the farthest out, only an accurate reference signal would tell us. It appears from this thread that there aren't any, so I was suggesting, finding the 'best' radio on the net, and using the RIT or in my case the CLAR button, and the rest of the net set to that radio.
    C.

Hi,
    Looking farther into the 60Khz reference signal from Cumbria. Last or the one before Christmas I received a frequency shifter, that I think will allow my Funcube dongle to receive it. When I get a minute I'll give it a try. Regarding the answer to how long the antenna would need to be, this signal sets clocks so I assume it doesn't need a field for the antenna.
    C.