Thread: Stationary RV Antenna

Default Stationary RV Antenna

Have a B&W AP/10-B portable antenna mounted outside on the rear view mirror, on the front of my 35’ RV facing North here in Florida (yeah, the antenna only SLIGHTLY higher than the south-facing RV ground-counterpoise: Weird, but that's how it has ended up.). The antenna is over twenty years old and due for a replacement (it’s done OKAY for 40 meters). The rear RV ladder is facing the South end, from what I have read, having something higher than the RV counterpoise ground facing North would be advantageous (at the very least, favoring signals in the North). So I’m thinking of a mobile antenna such as Hamstick or Hustler mounted up above on the ladder, w/ the ladder on the South end electrically bonded with the North facing RV frame. If I opted for the Hustler RM-40, RM-75 or RM-80 resonator, how well might I expect such antenna/resonators to TUNE with a counterpoise 2-3 times the length of the average vehicle (the average car/truck length, versus 8ft vertical RV ladder above chassis ground in series of 35 ft RV chassis ground, all facing up and/or North)? Should I expect that the antenna rod above the resonator coil would have to be shorter than usual? I figure that it could only make things better in one regard: The antenna placed in the rear would move it well away from the TV, and all the spurous noise/hash/interference that it receives on 80/75 meters. Perhaps something higher above could improve reception on 40M at the VERY least, for the RV as counterpoise is 35 ft (pretty close to a resonant ‘missing half’ for 40, huh?).

Or perhaps put another way: Steve Wolf, W8IZ, explains his success with a common mobile antenna, mounted down low right beside a fiberglass body [probably a class A fiberglass, like mine?] see www.wolfswords.com/motorhome/amateur_radio.html REGARDLESS of ANY frame metal edging STILL shooting above the antenna (yeah, fiberglass frames STILL have metal: frame edging, A/Cs, fans, TV antenna, climbing ladder, internal wiring, and in MY case, most all of this is to the NORTH of where the antenna could be placed, if I made something similar to Steve's) However, see Jim Abercrombie, NN4JA www.hamuniverse.com/basicantennas.pdf page 49-50 where Jim seems to suggest to get ANY mobile antenna as above, away, distanced, divorced from? the ground/body/counterpoise (and this seems to open many more practical possibilities, like NVIS horizontal, perhaps?). If that be my ONLY option, then please let me know if a 5 gang 2000+pf, .02 inch gap plate space variable cap can handle 5 watts QRP HF. I'll wind a big inductor, build a switching L network transmatch, run a 35' line 5 feet in the air somewhat distanced from the camper (N-S), and cross my fingers.
    Last edited by n4trc; Thu 7th Dec 2017 at 09:41. Reason: Clarify technical concern

Default So far ahead of me

I will be following your thread hoping to learn something about antennas to use on my class a coach. Two items I am contemplating and will appreciate your comments. Firstly is a hinged antenna bracket with a 90 degree angle bar to raise the antenna, securing the angle bar to the ladder when antenna is raised. The other concept I've had is to embed a 80' wire looped on top of the rubberized roof and connect it to a remote antenna tuner like the Icom AH-4. My coach is generally not stationary.

depending on how much you want to spend and what detail of installation you would like to do...
    check out the tarheel antenna site.
    They make several types of mounts to go on the top of the vehicle...manual or motorized...
    their screwdriver antennas work very well on 40 and 80 meters, I have 3 of them mounted on my vehicles and am setting one up for use on my office, my son uses one on his truck...
    they also make a ladder mount...

Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    I will be following your thread hoping to learn something about antennas to use on my class a coach. Two items I am contemplating and will appreciate your comments. Firstly is a hinged antenna bracket with a 90 degree angle bar to raise the antenna, securing the angle bar to the ladder when antenna is raised. The other concept I've had is to embed a 80' wire looped on top of the rubberized roof and connect it to a remote antenna tuner like the Icom AH-4. My coach is generally not stationary.
    QSL, Van. I have a AH-4 still fresh in its box, have considered using it to feed a variant of the “Saint Louis Vertical” fishpole antenna, stuck down some PVC mounted? some distance on the right side of the RV ladder in the back (I say some distance because, naturally, the rv ladder is metal, too. The fish pole would go up much higher than the ladder, however). I would have to seek out 40 ft of 5? conductor control cable (between the radio and the auto antenna tuner), and feed THAT in ADDITION to the usual 40 ft of coax! Oh, the simplicity of 22 ga. strung around the inside on ‘sticky hooks’ and fed with a tee or ell network! But what I fear EITHER way is all of the TV/power inverter hash/noise, which somehow I doubt that ANY additional wire feeding would be in vain. Ergo, things may warrant the ‘KISS’ principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid), as much as I would love to make things better here.