Thread: Firmware bricked my brand new 991A?

Default Firmware bricked my brand new 991A?

I got my FT-991A in the mail today, read the manual first (honestly), plugged it in and started playing with it. Spent some time downloading drivers for digital modes and latest firmware. I read the instructions 3 times before installing the firmware update, carefully following along throughout the entire process. Got everything finished up and the radio is stuck at the Yaesu screen. I can hear audio, volume works, buttons beep, but nothing else. This is super frustrating as the is the 3rd Yaesu product that I've owned and the 3rd that has been problematic. I tried installing the firmware over and over again one step at a time. No luck. Tried a full reset. Does nothing.
    The only reason I bought the 991A instead of the IC-7300 is because I want/need 2m all-mode capability along with HF. Don't care much about 70cm. I'm not a huge contester so I don't mind if performance suffers a smidge with a "shack-in-a-box". I operate portable a few times a year and need a smallish radio. The VFO knob on my 857d won't tune counter-clockwise after it has reached operating temp, and seems damn near deaf. If I am forced to return the radio, I'm seriously considering telling them to keep it and take my dollars somewhere else. Any suggestions from you guys while I wait for Yaesu tech support to open in the morning? Thanks!

Of course it had to happen late at night when I couldnít get tech support. I was going to delete this thread but figured Iíd just update it in case someone else ever ran across this same issue. The problem was that I had only installed the MAIN update, not the DSP and TFT. Yaesu tech support informed me that all 3 had to be installed, and in that order. Nowhere on the Yaesu website or in their updating manual did I read where all 3 must be updated. I really wish that was notated. Would have saved me, and Iím sure others, a lot of stress. Luckily, the radio is working fine. Now I just have to figure out how to get it transmitting on WSJT-X.

Did exact same on my new FT991A, wish I seen this post before trying to upload the new firmware..... It seemed to install first main firmware, but when I went to install the TFT firmware...... say to plug usb, no external power, the push & hold F-M-list +Band + Mode + Power at same time, this is suppose to power up the Computer screen panel for installation. It didn't do anything! Not sure if I damaged the radio or not. Not sure what to do now ... should have left it alone, seems like the radio was working fine, used it on FM, C4FM worked, I really like this radio ... could not get WiresX going cause I figured it needed update ... oh boy... but I just had to try updates hhmm ...

KG5HFO did you get you issues resolved, if so, any advice or is I'm I going to have spend more $$ to get fixed?
    KG5HFO I'm feeling your pain & frustration ... after retrying several times

Thanks for any advice
    VE7OPL

I find it very hard not to expect dealers to ship products with the absolutely latest stable firmware in them. It seems mad that you need to take a perfectly good radio and then risk wrecking it yourself. I would find receiving a brand new expensive radio and then having to do this an example of a dealer or manufacturer simply asking for trouble. Clearly, they are lucky in that their customers have a higher than average chance of completing firmware and software upgrades successfully. It's not good customer care to ship a radio and say, have a go updating the old stick radio we shipped you yourself.

Yes..... I'm trying really hard to hold my patience with this nonsense, If knew this would happen I would have even paid to have updates done before they shipped this radio.... I like this radio so far after learning some basic function on the FT991A, but we will see had pans out.... cause I may not ever bye another Yaesu again, I don't like being screwed over after paying this much $$$, nobody should have to deal with this kind issue. Now after reading another post, a fellow said he waited several "Months" to rectify the problem! Think I'll will phone dealer, may have ship back (my expense), not sure warrantee even covers this & if it cost my more big $$$, Yaesu will be on my sh^! list !

When I buy a product, especially an expensive one I never, ever install any firmware upgrade until the manufacturer or distributor tells me to. I buy the product based on what it does, and what I need it for. If it functions, then I keep it. If. to it goes up. firmware upgrades are for improvements or fixes for bugs. I have loads of radios here that I hire out and most are on their original firmware, when loads of updates have been and gone. What are the problems the radio had that needed fixing? If my new expensive product was flawed, then it should have gone back.

they should not be sending you a new product that needs updates...it should have all the current stuff on it when you get it.
    If they come up with updates that can be loaded onto a product at a later date, so be it... but new ones should go out up to date.
    If a dealer sold you an older model that did not have the updates on it, that is on the dealer and should be updated by the dealer at this cost, or the dealer should have told you so up front and given you a discount if he could not update it, then you could choose to take it or get an updated one somewhere else...IMO.

I bought mine in February, did all of the updates, and it has turned out to be a great little radio. I really don't mind doing firmware updates to have the "latest and greatest" on board. I would rather get a new, factory sealed radio and make that decision myself rather than someone who may or may not know what they are doing update it for me. I almost did not update mine because the versions were pretty close already, but I wanted the TFT update so I did them all.
    I'm a Kenwood man but have owned an FT-101, 857D, 897, and now the 991A. I think the 991A is a keeper as my new field radio.