Thread: New Antenna, Anything else?

Default New Antenna, Anything else?

Ok I have been slow in developing into the hobby. Got my General ticket this summer, and was sitting in my living room last week listening to my first rag chew and couldn't get out with my lil whip. So I have just ordered Ed Fong's DBJ-1, a quality Coax (my run is short, less than 20')and a pigtail to adapt to my handheld. What should I expect my next hurdle to be? I live in the Clearwater valley in Idaho and about 3/4 of this country is standing straight up on end. The repeater I am trying to reach is about 18 (air) miles away. I can hear just fine but transmitting is a horse of another color.
    I sort of go hot and cold on HAM, at one time I'm ready to fire up the soldering iron and mad scientist my way through, or try talking the CFO into the necessity of a capital outlay (not likely to be approved, she is notoriously skeptical of my requests lol) to being a bit ambivalent about participating. Right now I want to move into longer reaches just a bit and see how it goes. So realistically what is my next problem to face (other than the aforementioned monetary restrictions) ?

thanks
    KI7OHB

You need to get the antenna as high up as possible, even if it means lengthening your coax run a bit. Height is everything...

If it's the Orofino two meter repeater, it has a 100 Hz PL tone. If it's the one south of Grangeville, try transmitting from different locations. If that doesn't work, you will probably have to use more power or a better antenna.

Ben

Thanks for the responses! It is the Gilbert Grade repeater I think. Got the antenna so I should be set up this weekend. Looking forward to trying.

thanks
    Keith

Hey Thanks Guys! After finding discussions of the Ed Fong antennas and all the tips given to others about antenna mounting and positioning, plus your responses to me, I mounted my antenna this weekend. I was able to hit the Orofino repeater! thanks for this great resource! Only complaint is no one warned me not to slip with my drill driver and push the bit through my thumb nail! Let me be the warning. it hurts... really bad, don't try it yourself! but other than that I am really pleased with the results and can't say enough good about both the antenna and it's maker, Ed is a great guy.

Thanks
    Keith
    KI7OHB