Thread: Yaesu 8900, can it be modded to have the mic connected to the main unit

Default Yaesu 8900, can it be modded to have the mic connected to the main unit

I have a Yaesu 8900 and want to install it in the car.

However , for neatness, I would like to have the mic connected to the base unit instead of the face unit.

Is this possible, had anyone done this?
    Better to go in a blaze of glory than to fade away

Radios with removable faceplates are made that way to facilitate mounting of the radio. It's simple to find a location in a vehicle for a small faceplate than a large bodied radio. With the removable faceplate, the body of the radio can be mounted in an out of the way location, such as the trunk or under a seat. However, many models of radio with the removable faceplate have microphone connections on the body of the radio. This presents problems because the microphone cables are never long enough to easily reach from where the radio is mounted to where it can conveniently be used. A separate, sometimes hard to find, extension cable is needed (and they aren't included by the manufacturer.)

I ran into this situation with both my Yaesu FTM-100DR and Yaesu FTM-400XDR radios, even though I had mounted the radios under the driver's seat in my truck. I was able to find extension cables without too much difficulty, thanks to a friend, but it was still a nuisance setting it up.

Doing the conversion you suggest might be more trouble than it's worth, considering how many functions run through the mic cable.

Yeh, I think your right. I will simply run a mic extension cable to my ctr console
    Better to go in a blaze of glory than to fade away