Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AF4 Callsign Where? Pirate?

Default AF4 Callsign Where? Pirate?

Hi spoke to an AF4 today. It sounded genuine. Have I spoke to an american?
    He called back my callsign and we had a quick QSO before QSB set in but I could not establish his QTH.
    I have tried to google the callsign and cant find him. Have I spoken to a pirate?
    Last edited by Bozza; Wed 1st Nov 2017 at 20:18.

Probably just a not very active person who doesn't normally do DX. My own callsign only comes up on these forums, and other than that - my callsign brings back very little.

I heard a guy yesterday that told someone his call was (I think) KC2C2C. He may have been legit, but he was not listed on QRZ, so I moved on.

So does AF4 followed by three letters sound genuine?

So does AF4 followed by three letters sound genuine? Where would you expect him to be from?

It is not compulsary to be on QRZ.
    I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

Is AF4 followed by three letters legit and where would it be from?

Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
    Is AF4 followed by three letters legit and where would it be from?
    The AF4 could be legitimate but since You didn't supply the last three letters, there's no way to confirm or deny that he or she is an Amateur Radio Operator. I looked in your personal profile on this website for Your Call Letters and could not find any information. Apparently You like to hide behind an alias name ... that's not what Amateur Radio is about. But You want us to verify someone else's Call Letters. I'm puzzled by your request. Is this called, "You should provide me information but I don't want to provide anything to the Amateur Radio Community Here!"

Dan
    WA9WVX

I'd have to honestly say that over the years I have spoken to many people with callsigns that I'd never heard of, and on my return to ham radio after quite a few years was amazed by the sheer number of different callsign formats just here in the UK. My attitude is that the person the other end deserves a reply unless something in their operational style makes you wonder. I remember resounding to the callsign JA1, thinking it a bit short - but we had a chat, and I asked him what he did. He replied "I am a King" - checking it afterwards made me think how stupid I was.

I have my callsign listen in the amateur radio section in the 'about me', and find it odd that people don't. Oddly, I don't use it as a username, because the one I use is the one used on all the forums that allow it. I happen to think that the callsign is just that - something I use on the air, and I'd prefer people to think paul rather than G4RMT - especially on forums where not everyone is licensed. Indeed, since using my call on one forum, I noted my callsign appears in many on-line digital lists, which is odd, as I certainly didn't work these people, so making a callsign more prominent is not good all the time.

I don't understand why some people don't have their real name anywhere, no callsign, or even location in the world - now that IS odd?

Probably found in an NCIS episode!

With a silly 'handle' to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    I'd have to honestly say that over the years I have spoken to many people with callsigns that I'd never heard of, and on my return to ham radio after quite a few years was amazed by the sheer number of different callsign formats just here in the UK. My attitude is that the person the other end deserves a reply unless something in their operational style makes you wonder. I remember resounding to the callsign JA1, thinking it a bit short - but we had a chat, and I asked him what he did. He replied "I am a King" - checking it afterwards made me think how stupid I was.

I have my callsign listen in the amateur radio section in the 'about me', and find it odd that people don't. Oddly, I don't use it as a username, because the one I use is the one used on all the forums that allow it. I happen to think that the callsign is just that - something I use on the air, and I'd prefer people to think paul rather than G4RMT - especially on forums where not everyone is licensed. Indeed, since using my call on one forum, I noted my callsign appears in many on-line digital lists, which is odd, as I certainly didn't work these people, so making a callsign more prominent is not good all the time.

I don't understand why some people don't have their real name anywhere, no callsign, or even location in the world - now that IS odd?
    Hello Paulears,

Well I understand what you're stating about a Call Sign or Forum name but this individual wants "us" to supply him or her a Call Sign Validation but only provides the first two letters & the number like "we're" clairvoyant or have a crystal ball. Then when I went to the individuals information, "there isn't any." This then makes me feel that the individual isn't a ham operator, perhaps a Pirate who gets on the air waves to talk to other people like who's going to catch me in the act? Even if the AF4 wasn't in QRZ, there's the FCC Data Base that who show whether it's a Bona Fide Call Sign or Not for the United States. I just don't clearly understand this individuals motives.

Dan
    WA9WVX
    49 Years in Amateur Radio

http://www.arrl.org/international-call-sign-series

This should help you answer Bozza's question.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Dan, I hadn't thought about simply Looking them up on an official database. Or a proper call book? I tend to suspect the OP might just be lazy wanting somebody to do the work for him. If somebody wanted to pirate you'd think they'd be quite good at doing their own research. That said, there will always be pirates, and I bet most of us have worked them without knowing. TBH it never really occurs to me to question the validity of the person at the other end. This is the nice bit of ham radio. We are not interested in their age, sex, race, religion or really even country. At the height of the Cold War, I happily talked to Russians on the radio, and in my job at the time, prepared for them nuking us! The person the other end is the one responsible for legally operating, not our end!

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellB View Post
    I heard a guy yesterday that told someone his call was (I think) KC2C2C. He may have been legit, but he was not listed on QRZ, so I moved on.
    Not a legit US call sign. You probably misunderstood him... It could be something like KC2CTC.

So does AF4 followed by three letters sound genuine? Where would you expect him to be from?
    AF4 followed by three letters is also not a legit US call sign. AF4 followed by TWO letters would be a valid US call sign. It would be held by an Extra Class licensee, and would have originally been issued to someone living in the southeastern United States.

I don't think there's any nefarious plot here, but simply misheard call signs.

Quote Originally Posted by K6CPO View Post
    Not a legit US call sign. You probably misunderstood him... It could be something like KC2CTC.

AF4 followed by three letters is also not a legit US call sign. AF4 followed by TWO letters would be a valid US call sign. It would be held by an Extra Class licensee, and would have originally been issued to someone living in the southeastern United States.

Many thanks for your reply. My log book lists the following callsigns for the
    A2 Botswana
    A3 Tonga
    A4 Sultanate of Oman
    A5 Bhutan
    A6 United Emirates
    A7 Quatar
    A8 Liberia
    A9 Bahrain
    AP - AS Pakistan
    I came here for some advice because my research had left me confused. In no way did I mean to offend any Extra Class Licensee.

Calls beginning with AF4 are assigned to United States amateurs. The FCC has issued over seven hundred. Some are cancelled or expired, but many are still active. Go to http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...rchLicense.jsp type "AF4" into the "License Search" box and click "Search" for some examples.

Ben

Many thanks for your reply. My log book lists the following callsigns for the
    A2 Botswana
    A3 Tonga
    A4 Sultanate of Oman
    A5 Bhutan
    A6 United Emirates
    A7 Quatar
    A8 Liberia
    A9 Bahrain
    AP - AS Pakistan
    I came here for some advice because my research had left me confused. In no way did I mean to offend any Extra Class Licensee.
    Calls formatted by the letter "A", followed by a numeral, e.g. A2, A3, A4 ... as in your list are assigned to the respective entities you indicated. Did you look at the entire list in the link?
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Quote Originally Posted by K6CPO View Post

Well, my hearing is not what it used to be for sure, and I did have to listen to him repeat his call several times to understand his first letter, but I am pretty certain he was using two numbers in his call. Kilo Charlie 2, Charlie 2 Charlie. I figured it was some kind of special event station or club that was not listed on QRZ yet. Either way, I just passed on responding to him and kept turning the dial. Perhaps if I did, he could have clarified it, but it was not important to me. I did not intend to make it out to be anything other than unusual and out of the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellB View Post
    Well, my hearing is not what it used to be for sure, and I did have to listen to him repeat his call several times to understand his first letter, but I am pretty certain he was using two numbers in his call. Kilo Charlie 2, Charlie 2 Charlie. I figured it was some kind of special event station or club that was not listed on QRZ yet. Either way, I just passed on responding to him and kept turning the dial. Perhaps if I did, he could have clarified it, but it was not important to me. I did not intend to make it out to be anything other than unusual and out of the norm.
    KC2C2C would never be issued as a call sign in the US, or anywhere else in the world for that matter. US calls fit a number of different formats, 2x3, 2x2, 1x3, 1x2, and 2x1, where it's the number of letters before and after the number in the call sign. KC2C2C is a 2x3 but in that particular format, there would NEVER be a number in the suffix portion of the call sign. US call signs will have only 1 number in them, indicating the region where they were issued (in this case New York or New Jersey.) We know it's a US call sign because calls beginning with the letter "K" are issued only in the US.

There are special event call signs that can be issued and used for the duration of the event, but they are always in a 1x1 format meaning they consist of a single letter before and after the region number.

Without actually hearing the guy, I have no idea what you heard.