Thread: Most useful voice DXing modulations?

Default Most useful voice DXing modulations?

What is a suite of voice modulations to best increase my odds for long distance contacts?

I'm researching mobile radios to buy for my jeep to make long distance voice contacts and Im getting the impression SSB is necessary. I was focusing on Quad band radios, 0.7, 2, 6 and 10 meter radios but all Ive seen are FM only. Initially I want to do some interesting long distance contacts while out camping in western deserts or mountains and perhaps ultimately DX contesting. I have a General license.

Some advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rkruz View Post
    What is a suite of voice modulations to best increase my odds for long distance contacts?

I'm researching mobile radios to buy for my jeep to make long distance voice contacts and Im getting the impression SSB is necessary. I was focusing on Quad band radios, 0.7, 2, 6 and 10 meter radios but all Ive seen are FM only. Initially I want to do some interesting long distance contacts while out camping in western deserts or mountains and perhaps ultimately DX contesting. I have a General license.

Some advise would be appreciated. Thanks!
    this made me smile.

On those four bands right now, an "interesting long distance contact" would be via repeater IF you were lucky. Maybe into the next state. On VHF and above, virtually all of the voice communication is on FM. As a General, you have other available choices for bands and modes.

But you knew that. What's your call?
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.