Thread: Century 21 PTO kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Century 21 PTO kit

Hello everyone. I'm a new member to the forum and have recently obtained a Century 21. The PTO is working but is a little stiff. I emailed Ten-Tec and they said the PTO kit is not currently available.
    I've seen a posting somewhere that said turn the unit up on its back and drip alcohol down the stem and then use Tri-Flow. Just wondering if anyone has comments or tips on doing something like this as preventative maintenance.
    Thanks in advance.

Do you mean the tuning mechanism?

Not sure how it's arranged. Is it done with a cord wrapped around the capacitor spindle? If so, it may be the other bearings and not the capacitor, although many old radios have dried up grease on various parts. You could try thinning the grease with a tiny amount of white spirit on a cotton bud. Don't get white spirit on anything else, or it will "be bad"!

Its fairly straightforward to change the cord, but it will take patience! Take a photo before you start in case you give up and can refer to it later!

If there is no grease and it's just a case of too much friction, you could try graphite as a lubricant, again, try not to get it everywhere, it's a conductor!
    Make some by filing the "lead" of a pencil and apply it a tiny bit at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by K0PD View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm a new member to the forum and have recently obtained a Century 21. The PTO is working but is a little stiff. I emailed Ten-Tec and they said the PTO kit is not currently available.
    I've seen a posting somewhere that said turn the unit up on its back and drip alcohol down the stem and then use Tri-Flow. Just wondering if anyone has comments or tips on doing something like this as preventative maintenance.
    Thanks in advance.
    I think this might be a good PM idea. It's tried and proven among lots of hams. I'd not had *any* luck with it on my Omni D PTO shaft ( sat unused in a conditioned space for 25 years ) which was gooed solid. I ended up tearing down the PTO and right now it's ready to go back together. I understand the N5ESE description of PTO maintenance is also good. I'm sure you've seen it already. I wish I had at least tried alcohol and Tri Flow about 15 years ago LOL.. good luck