Thread: Remove & relocate 50 ft Tower QUESTIONS :

Default Remove & relocate 50 ft Tower QUESTIONS :

My neighbor has a tower she would like to have removed . I'd like to put it up at my house . I've never taken down a tower . It's steel and seems to be bolted together in 10 ft sections . It's 3 pipes in triangle with sigzag wire rod running up all 3 sides . I do not have a (gin ? ) pole . The local rental has a tow behind cherry picker with a 50 ft reach . Do you think the picker is my best option ? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated .

Hello 4x4Dad,

Assuming you're an Amateur Radio Operator, I would contact the local Club and some of the members should have the proper equipment for removing and erecting the tower on your property but an installation on your property will require either a City or County Building Permit before you dig the hole. You'll need all of Mechanical Specifications for that tower to provide the Building Department and if you fore go this, either the City, Suburb or County will RED TAG the tower and force you to take it down at your expense. There is a FCC Document called PRB-1 that can be supplied by the American Radio Relay League, Inc. pertains to Amateur Radio Towers ONLY, NOT CB, TV, Business Radio Services or WiFi Links.

As to the tower that you have described, it sounds like a Rohn 25 G (Guyed) Tower, manufactured in Indiana. Rohn's main Engineering Headquarters in located in Peoria, Illinois by these towers are sold by authorized Dealers all over the United States. Here's their website http://www.rohnnet.com/ for the Rohn Mechanical Specifications. Click on the vertical section on the upper left hand side and this will open up to the tower types.

How to take it down, well I suppose you could do it using a Rental Cherry Picker capable of 50' and some of your friends helping you, the appropriate mechanical hand tools for removing the bolts, nuts and place them in a 5 pound coffee can so they're not lost. Do Not Use Stainless Steel Bolts instead of the Steel Galvanized Bolts because the Stainless Steel Bolts cannot be torqued tight enough, they'll just snap off! I've used the regular Galvanized Steel Bolts even when they were painted and never had a problem with my previous Rohn 45 G tower. You've also got to know how much Square Feet this 25 G tower will hold if you are using a HF Beam Antenna. Those specifications are provided by the Antenna Manufacture for Wind Loading / Torque and by all means if you are putting a HF Beam up, follow Rohn's Guying Procedures so the tower doesn't collapse with Weight & Square Footage. These "G" towers are NOT Self Supporting towers EXCEPT for mounting a VHF / UHF Vertical Antennas. I hope this is a starting point to evaluate which method to use.

Dan
    WA9WVX
    Elgin, Illinois

4X4DAD would be a valid callsign in Israel...
    Mazel tov!
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Here's a You Tube Video on How Not To Take an Amateur Radio Tower Down ... What were these individuals thinking before they attempted doing this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLQPxRQo17I

They might be hams, but had anyone studied physics? In particularly moments, compression and tension? A multi section tower is designed with the main strength in the vertical plane. Side force from wind is evenly dispersed. If you examine the video although you can see the strap give way, and the tower comes down intact, the weight of the top section on the pivot point near the strap would have made collapse of the lower tube very likely anyway. Idiots!

Almost certainly the OP here doesn't even need a gin pole if the cherry picker is rated for lifting - most sadly, aren't. All the gin pole does is put a hanging point above the top of the next section, so if the tower is vertical and not using tapering sections, you can simple clamp a pulley to the top of a 20ft steel scaff pole, then clamp this to the 2nd from top section, and then attach the top section to the pulley and apply tension. Undo the bolts and the top section lifts - just a couple of inches is fine, you then lower it. Remove the scaff pole, lower it to the next section , re-clamp and repeat. Installing it again is simply the reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    They might be hams, but had anyone studied physics? In particularly moments, compression and tension? A multi section tower is designed with the main strength in the vertical plane. Side force from wind is evenly dispersed. If you examine the video although you can see the strap give way, and the tower comes down intact, the weight of the top section on the pivot point near the strap would have made collapse of the lower tube very likely anyway. Idiots!

Almost certainly the OP here doesn't even need a gin pole if the cherry picker is rated for lifting - most sadly, aren't. All the gin pole does is put a hanging point above the top of the next section, so if the tower is vertical and not using tapering sections, you can simple clamp a pulley to the top of a 20ft steel scaff pole, then clamp this to the 2nd from top section, and then attach the top section to the pulley and apply tension. Undo the bolts and the top section lifts - just a couple of inches is fine, you then lower it. Remove the scaff pole, lower it to the next section , re-clamp and repeat. Installing it again is simply the reverse.
    Hello Paulears,

I was being a smart alect when I wrote down my comments. Someone should have unbolted the HY-GAIN TH6DXX Antenna first and lower it down. Then using the Lumber truck's crane, it could have been securely attached and tower could have been safely lowered and dismantled on the ground. I don't think the ham operator even considered that idea. He just turned the tower and antenna into Junk or Scrap metal.

Dan
    WA9WVX

People often do stupid things. I work in theatre, and for years was a college lecturer, and always beat my student up with safety stuff - especially when dealing with things like counterweight flying bars in big theatres, and one night, in an emergency with rain during through the roof, I took very quickly, 350KGs of equipment off a lighting bar, and then when I banged my head on it, I walked over to the brakes and flipped it off. Only me there at the time, and nearly half a ton of weights dropped towards the stage - and like an idiot, I grabbed the rope. Fifteen feet up in the air I let go, and the soft tissue from 8 fingers, reached down to the floor! Oddly it didn't hurt much, and the hospital fixed me up over a couple of months and all is fine - apart from my shoulder which took three operations to fix, and still gives me gip! I should have known better, but just did it. The guys in the video should really have figured this - it wasn't, like me, a spur of the moment mistake.

Were you doing "Les Mis", or getting into a Quasimodo-like appearance for "Hunchback"?
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

I apologise for such a late reply . I thought I had my options set for email when people reply . I'll have to recheck my profile settings .

Ok , I honestly never thought to check local ordinance . My neighbor who was a Ham operator had this tower up for 6 years before he passed away . I'm putting it up the exact same way he did minus 4 ft. that goes into the ground and concrete at my place . Guess I better check there first before erecting the tower . For what it's worth , the tower would be 20 feet shorter than the oak trees on my property . As far as taking it down , I found a guy that has done it a couple times before . He has a power utilities truck . The bucket has 55 ft. reach and a 2000 lb. winch attached . He said he'll attach to the top , tighten up , I'll cut the bottom at the concrete , walk the bottom out in the yard and he'll lower it to the ground . I just hope there are no issues with the township ordinances . As far as antennas , I only plan on vertical . Those big Yagi antennas scare me . Other than verticles , I'll eventually try home brew wire loops & dipole .

Thanks for the replies guys . Greatly appreciated .
    Last edited by 4x4Dad; Sat 11th Nov 2017 at 14:04.

Well , taking the tower down went smoothly . Base of tower is now plum and concreted in to 3'x3' X10" thick bottom . Base of tower sits on 3/4 rebar concreted in a 24" round drum 34 inches high . All told it's sitting in 1500 lbs. of concrete and rebar 48 inches below ground surface . Now I need to work on lightning protection . 3 copper radials away from base to 8 ft. ground rods . Then an entry box for coax with lightning / static arrestors mounted to a copper buss bar which in turn will also have a ground rod connected to it . Does this sound sufficient ?

probably as well done as most...and should be fine if you are doing as you said and only putting a vertical and maybe hang a dipole or two off of it.
    My 50' tower is anchored in a concrete block that is 7'x7' by 6' deep. Then again mine is free standing and supports an 8 element hf log periodic.
    The install is per engineered specs for our wind speeds (near coast hurricane zone) and a larger wind load than I put on it.

WOW ! That's one heck of a slab of concrete ! Yes , I can see being near the coast would need a good base , but I would of thought guy wires would help even more in your case . I couldn't place a Yagi in my neighborhood . We're on 1/2 acre lots . Now if I was still living on the 12 acre farm where I grew up , it could be a possibility .