Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenwood Rx1000

Default Kenwood Rx1000

Hi Folks, the above radio I have has an antenna connector in the rear that takes a coax cable connection. I bought so R6 cable thinking that it would fit but the male end comming out of the radio is much larger than the connector on the R6. I do not know enough about cable connector descriptions to find the connector I need. Does anyone here have that radio and use a coax antenna wire for it? I am trying to improve my ham listening with a better antenna.
    Thanks,
    Don

The cable you bought probably has an F connector for television. Your radio probably has an SO 239 connector, which will need a cable terminated with a PL259.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Or you can get an adapter for F (male) to UHF (male).

http://tinyurl.com/y8fa2kj5

That's if the connector on your cable is in fact a type F. If not, identify the connecter and get the proper adapter from the website in my "tinyurl" above.
    Last edited by K7KBN; Tue 10th Oct 2017 at 01:46.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Talking F connector

What is type of the the cable you bought ? You may need to choose F-Type Male to UHF Male Adapter

RG6 has 75Ω impedance, you receiver expects 50Ω, not that it will make much difference to a reciever.

The Kenwood R1000 is a brilliant receiver - wish I never sold mine, anyway, it uses an SO239 socket, which needs a PL239 plug for 50Ω coax.

A simple ATU will also help with your incoming signals, especially if you have a lot of local noise...

I am going to show my ignorance here and the fact that I am a newbie at these things, but what is an ATU?
    Regards,
    Don

It's an Antenna Tuning Unit. At it's most basic (a "type L") is is simply a capacitor and inductor.
    They provide a non-resonant antenna load with the right amount of capacitance and inductance to make it appear tuned.
    In practise it cleans up the receiver & received signal.

Do a youtube search for Antenna Tuning unit L-match and you'll find loads of homebrew ideas...

Thanks for clearing that up. I have actually ordered one of those from MFJ and it should be here soon. I read some articles about making one but they were a little above me at the moment, so to be safe I just bought one. I did not notice before that you were located in Cyprus. What an asset to have you on this forum.
    Regards,
    Don

I have one additional question regarding the coax cable. I have one of the PL239 connectors now and was trying to get the male end to screw on to the R6 coax. It appears as if the center post of the coax cable is sitting proud of its connector and it is blocking connection to the male end of the PL239, either that or the hole in the male end of the PL239 is too small to accept the copper post. Could it be that you have to trim some off of the pin on the coax so you can get the threads to start engaging the male end of the PL239? I am not used to working with coax.
    Regards,
    Don

The connector that attaches to the cable is a PL-259, not PL-239. The mating connector that is attached to the back panel of the radio is an SO-239. (Remember: PL = male = PLug, while SO = female = SOcket>.

If you can post a picture or two, it'd be clearer in our minds as to just what the problem is.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Sorry about the mix up in the numbers. I am a new member so I do not have permission to post squat. Tell me what part you did not understand and maybe I can do it better on the second try. Just to reiterate, the center pin of the R6 coax cable connector is sitting just beyond the end of the connector and the pin is hitting the PL259 male end a bit too soon such that I cannot engage the threads on the R6 connector to the male end of the PL259. I tried shoving the pin into the little opening in the male end of the PL259, but no go. It is supposed to slide into that hole?
    Don

https://www.universal-radio.com/cata...ts/plconn.html

Here are some pictures of PL-259s and SO-239s (collectively referred to as "UHF" connectors, just to add a bit more confusion). I'm not sure about the coaxial cable you're using - your posts say "R6", which I've never heard of -- do you mean RG-6?

Is one end of the cable factory-attached to the PL-259 already?
    The tip of the PL-259, as you can see in those pictures, does extend beyond the collar a little bit - maybe 1/8" or less. It should slide without much pressure at all into the SO-239. It's a friction fit; can't be too loose because all your transmitter power output has to get through there just as all your receiver input voltage has to get from the antenna to the receiver input.

The reason for the center pin of the PL-259 to be a bit longer than the rest of the connector is to make it easy to connect in the dark - which is when most radio problems occur.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Thanks for the link to the different connectors. I was inspecting the coax cable I bought (RG6) and it has a factory installed coupling installed. The center pin in this coax does not seem to want to fit in the SO239. I do not know much about the differences in coax's and connectors, but is it possible that the SO239 I have is for RG8 cable and the center pin on that is slightly smaller? I used quite a bit of force to try and get the pin into the socket but no go.
    Regards,
    Don

I took the time to get some better description of the parts I am dealing with. I bought the Maxmoral UHF male to TNC FEmale PL-259 PL259 connector RF coax adapter. This connector screws on to the antenna post on the rear of my Kenwood R1000 radio. The coax cable I have has a factory installed compression connector F81/RF, which does not seem to fit on to the PL259. I think I need a different connector on the coax cable. Any thoughts out there on what I need.
    Don

Take a look at a few of these videos.

Thanks for the videos, I watched them all. I think I have the problem identified. I cut off the end of a piece of the RG6 coax which gave me a clean end and got rid of the factory connector. I stripped the insulation away until I had just the center post. I tried to insert the wire center into the PL259 but the hole was too small to accept it. I am not sure why this does not fit. I did not know that there could be different sized holes, I thought they would be standard. The Amazon ad for the PL259 does not indicate that there is a size requirement. I ordered some other PL259 connectors to try them out. I will get back here once I have them and let people know what I find.
    Thanks,
    Don

Right - you cut off the moulded connector on the RG6. Remember, RG6 is the cable, and the connector was probably an F type. Inside the PL259 connector, the centre pin, is hollow and you need to SOLDER the centre copper conductor of the RG6 into it, Usually, PL259 connectors have a hole on the side, and if you trim the cable back properly so the centre copper conductor is bared and fits into the centre pin, you should find that the copper foil and that whisky bit of stranded coper that touches the foil, can be carefully poked through the hole, and then soldered to make the connection. Make sure that the trimming of the foil does not let it contact the centre pin. F types, for satellite and TV just screw onto the cable. PL259's and the other types like N and BNC have to be soldered or crimped. If you cannot solder, you'll have to find somebody who can. You can sometimes bend the centre conductor back to make it a bit thicker and jam it in, then tape it all up, but it's a bodge and the lifespan of the joint, if it works at all, is extremely short and very fragile. PL259 connectors do come in sizes - one has a smaller entry hole to suit 6mm size cable like RG-58, and a bigger entry hole for 10mm cable like RG-213. Remember some of the names of the cable components, this will help explain what you mean. Centre conductor, the dielectric, the white insulation that is then surrounded by foil and a drain wire (in RG6), or a proper braided copper screen, in most other types of coax cable. The fragile foil screen and the drain wire that touches it makes a very good screen, but it's fragile and cracks if you bend the cable sharply. Cheap cables have poorer quality and size braiding as screen material, often with visible gaps in the loose weave, while the expensive versions usually contain more copper and shield the cable much better. RG6 is dirt cheap because the copper content is low, and the screening is very thin foil.

The question I guess is - can you solder and do you have an iron?

The typical PL-259 is intended for larger-diameter coax. Originally designed to be used on RG-8U coax with an outside diameter (OD) of 0.405 inch. Although smaller OD coax can be connected to a PL-259, you must use an adapter. See that list of UHF connectors in my earlier post #12. For RG-6 coax, I think the UG-176 would work. It's for cables around 1/4", such as RG-8X and RG-59. There are separate steps for using the adapters.

And as Paulears posted: knowing how to solder well, and having the proper equipment to do the job are vital. There are crimp-on connectors, but tooling for THAT job can get expensive quickly.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Also remember that PL259 is a 50Ohm connector, and as RG6 is 75Ohm, there aren't, to the best of my knowledge, any connectors because for transmit - RG6 is no use. A bit of mismatch on receive doesn't really matter that much.

Just to update things a bit. I can solder, learned repairing old radios. One thing I noticed in the videos that were provided was that the center pin of PL259 was open in each instance. It appeared that the center pin of the coax went up through into that center pin and was soldered. My PL259 does not have an opening in the center pin and thus cannot be soldered. Just to reiterate my problem the center pin of the coaxial cable I have (RG6) will not fit into the PL259 hole. It bends the center pin if I try at all to force it. I am awaiting shipment of some new connectors to see if that will help.
    Regards,
    Don