Thread: Quad Band Radios?

Default Quad Band Radios?

New Ham here. I started this journey looking at the dual band Yeasu FT7900 recommend by Ham Radio Outlet but as I discovered more Id like to have opportunity to contact distant locations while mobile. Often this may be out in the remote desert of western US or high in the mountains. The quad band FT8900 offers 2 additional lower freq bands which seems to me just gives me more opportunity to play and more distant reach. The FT8900 doesnt do SSB but would still be able to connect to others with voice on FM? There is an antenna made for this radio by Diamond that does all 4 bands. Dont know the part number but it has 8900 in the part number. If this antenna requires a ground plane there becomes an issue on how to mount it to a jeep, another issue I have to work through. The notion is to reach these distant locations in a more organic way without the aid of networked repeaters. All this pointing someday to participate in a DXing activities.
    I dont mind spending more then the FT8900 costs if I get a feature that provides significant benefit for reach long distance with a mobile like SSB. Would you be able to suggest a radio that would be a step above FT8900 and perhaps offer SSB?
    thank you

You could look at the Comet Uhv-4 Mobile Antenna 10/6/2m/70cm UHF 54in on Ebay for $124.
    I use a similar make as a base station antenna with no radial. The antenna is designed as a mobile one.
    I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

The 10m and 6m band on the Quad Band radio may not get you far, partly due to no SSB (effective power), but also due to hit or miss (mostly miss) propogation. If you want more reliable long distance communications day and night, you need a 20M and 40M HF portable and the appropriate mobile antenna. If you could find an older IC706MKIIG all band radio or equivalent, you would be covered on every Ham Band below 70cm. You should be able to find one for about $550 on used market. You will need a good mobile antenna and tuner as well... but if you want long distances that are reliable.. you need multibands 20M day and 40M nights. 10M may suprise you at any time. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

The FT-8900 is pretty much useless on 10 meters if the operator has only a Technician license. The Tech portion of the band, 28.300-28.500 allows SSB phone only and the 8900 is FM only. To effectively use this radio on 10 meters requires a General or better license.

I would agree. I have a Quad Band and I use the 2m/70cm only, except I listen to CB on 11m when traveling on highway. No transmit in any case on 10m as I only have a dual band antenna and no SSB limits usefulness.

I just see the other two bands as bonus monitoring... would not really pay extra for them as is. I have a TYT 9800 in my truck and they charge the same now for the TYT 7800 which is only dual band. I have the TYT 7800 as my base 2M/70cm in the house. They are decent radios and a good price.

Last edited by flboy; Tue 5th Dec 2017 at 21:13.

Quote Originally Posted by flboy View Post
    I would agree. I have a Quad Band and I use the 2m/70cm only, except I listen to CB on 11m when traveling on highway. No transmit in any case on 10m as I only have a dual band antenna and no SSB limits usefulness.

I just see the other two bands as bonus monitoring... would not really pay extra for them as is. I have a TYT 9800 in my truck and they charge the same now for the TYT 7800 which is only dual band. I have the TYT 7800 as my base 2M/70cm in the house. They are decent radios and a good price.

I recently bought a used FT-8900 but more for the dual VFO feature than the quad band function. I needed a radio that would allow me to monitor two different repeaters during an ARES hospital drill and the only one I had that would do that was my FTM-400XDR which is currently installed in my truck. Rather than remove it to use during the drill, I bought the 8900 instead. And my wife paid for it...

It's now installed in a Go-Kit where I doubt I will ever use it on 6 or 10 meters... I'm an Extra Class licensee and have an HF radio that covers 10 meter SSB and a separate 6 meter FM mobile.

Agree also on the dual VFO and Dual watch.. that is a function on the dual banders as well.

I like the crossband repeat function also where I can extend the range of my HT significantly via my truck mobile when hiking with the HT.