Thread: Baofeng UV-6R

Default Baofeng UV-6R

I have bought one as a backup handheld but I have had a trouble programming it, first of all, the chirp software wouldn't work, finally got that working today. Have programmed it with repeaters, managed to work out how to display the name of the repeater. However, it doesn't seem to be transmitting properly. It was initially done with the TSQL, but nothing was happening so I changed it to Tone after a reset. It worked once on 70 cm then the plus and minus are both displayed! The SFT-D seems to be off and I can't change it manually, and the offset is at 000.000 despite being set correctly by CHIRP.

Has anybody any ideas?

Went to the vendor on Monday and they agreed there was something wrong with the tx side, so allegedly gave me an exchange unit, I then inputted repeater frequencies using repeaterbook, fairly simple one you are registered, this is actually long winded as for the UK you have to search by town only and one band at a time, not all the information required is transferred across, so a lot of manual keyboard inputting! Top Tip save the file, after every entry. I didn't use all the memories. When I came to use one of the local 70 cm repeaters, nothing! I thought "Oh no here we go again!" I found that the CTCSS tone was wrong, so this meant doing a fresh install, however, make sure you save the file when you change anything, merely changing something then uploading to the radio does not make any changes, so make a change, save the file! then upload.

The only thing I am disappointed in is I went out to a local hill yesterday and took the radio and my 2m Alinco with me, I found some activity on 2m simplex, in fact, one station seemed really close. I switched the UV-6R to frequency mode and inputted the freq and nothing! Whilst the Alinco was clearly picking up both stations, the UV-6R was deaf as a door post! Maybe I need to enter some simplex channels in the memories for it to work?

Well, the + and - lit up meant that you had programmed a split offset, with two separate frequencies, and not a preset offset - doesn't matter really.
    I then inputted repeater frequencies using repeaterbook, fairly simple one you are registered, this is actually long winded as for the UK you have to search by town only and one band at a time, not all the information required is transferred across, so a lot of manual keyboard inputting
    Yep - thats what ham radio is about, effort! Just imagine how tiresome it was in the days before the internet when you had to buy a magazine, or a book to find out frequencies, or do lots of experimental stuff, like listening!

The alincos, which cost what, 90 for the cheapest single band one, are nice little sensitive radios. Baofengs are nice little feature packed radios at pocket money prices - disposable radios I think somebody called them. Their performance is based around strong signal reception. They are less sensitive and also much less selective than your Alinco. They work fine on strong signals - and most people use them on repeaters. They're never going to pick out the weaker signals from the noise, but that's not really what they're designed for. In nearly the words of Shakespeare, me thinketh the user wants too much!

Have you tried the Baofeng software, it's a bit clunky but works pretty well.

The Baofeng software? All I could find was the UVR-5 which doesn't work. The Baofeng website uses CHIRP and when you go the chirp website you have to select the make and model of the radio.

Last night I took part in a 2-metre simplex net, which was fairly local, could hear stations over 10 miles away, so nice to be able to join in some activity! Today I managed to get some time on a hill over 1000 feet ASL, first simplex contact was mobile who was about 15 miles away, I couldn't hear him on the Baofeng but had my Alinco on so transmitted on one and listened on the other, a bit old fashioned maybe? Anyway we had a good QSO, moved onto 70 cms and found I couldn't hear him at all. Went back on 2 m and he said he could hear me on 70 cm at same signal strength, another station some 31 miles reported exactly the same thing, getting out with a reasonable signal on both bands. Yeah sure it is a cheap radio just a shame it can't receive as well as it transmits, not asking for much! Actually this explains why I have been hearing SOTA activiations recently which can't hear the replies! Think I need to investigate how I can fix my old V/UHF scanner which is missing its battery pack, solve that problem and then I could use 70cm simplex!

I'm pretty sure they do have one that is supplied to their Chinese resellers who distribute this with their radios, but the one I have for the other Baofeng models is pretty clunky - and very basic compared to how clever Chirp is getting. Might be worth an email?