Thread: Mr.

Default Mr.

I have a VERY rookie question -- I am a skydiver and the company I jump with uses a variety of radios to communicate with their ground crew, their pilots, instructors, etc. I would like to listen in, but I have no way of knowing what freq.'s they communicate on. Please don't get all technical about HOW, but I can access their freq.'s if I just know what they are. How can I go about learning their freq's? I've asked several members of the crew, but they have now idea -- I get answers like, "Well, I use THIS radio to talk to the pilot, and THIS radio to talk to the instructors....". They can't answer the question. Can I get a scanner to pick up their chatter, or do I have to setup the scanner to recognize "known freq's". Any/All help would be appreciated.

I'd think that if a pilot doesn't know what frequency he's using to talk to the ground, that's a real issue! These guys MUST surely know. Get them to find out themselves if they don't, and get them to tell you. Perhaps they don't want people listening in?
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

You could try a scanner with the "close call" feature - here's a demo...

Aviation radio equipment caters for lowest common denominator users, so EVERY piece of non-military radio kit will have a display, or at the very least, a channelised knob with scribble on it that shows the frequency. when you climb into the aircraft, look at the radio, or make sure your helmet cam gets a good look at the equipment - and the frequency it is working on will be there - probably two actually. So just look at their radios and read the info. I can't think of any reason they'd not tell you? It will be often in abbreviated form - so 121.6 or 118.9 is the clue - dial it in, and it will work. Radios from air to ground are always type approved, so it's extremely rare to find a non-adjustable radio, so just look for the freq! Close call works, but when you are in the aircraft, I suspect you might be a bit too busy, and not have a hand spare to fiddle with a radio.