Thread: Radio for a newbie

Default Radio for a newbie

Just got my Technician license. Now im looking for a radio. Looking to spend around $1k. What i want is a good radio that can do it all. HF, VHF UHF

I think it would depend on what you are looking to do with your rig. personally, i would suggest a VHF/UHF radio, and get a list of your local repeaters. that way you can use your license while you get setup for HF operating.

my first radio was a Kenwood TS430S (HF) that i fixed up. i was disappointed with the lack of people talking. now i have a 2M HT, and through repeaters, i get chatter from all around the state.

Now, if only the FCC would issue me a callsign, so i can operate...

~Travis
    PASSED Tech exam on 09-09-2017 (awaiting callsign)
    Equipment:
    Kenwood TS-430s, Bucket-base 20 foot vertical antenna
    Kenwood TH-K20a, stock antenna

The icom 7100 or Yaesu FT991A and FT857 spring to mind as a “shack in a box”.

The 857 is the most versatile, as you can take it out and about and also use it portable.

There are also quite a few FT897s out there on the second hand market, as people trade up to the radios with colour displays, etc.

Kind regards,

Phi

What do you think about the Kenwood TS-2000. I just saw one go for $800 on ebay..

FM, SSB, CW, data? The mode choice impacts greatly. As does your antenna possibilities? Horizontal beam for 2 and 70 means you need SSB, no horizontal antenna possible means USB could be a waste. Lower than 2 metres means antenna space is pretty critical. My own thoughts are that if you can't get a decent HF antenna up, then HF (and 6m) is probably a bit pointless as your possibilities are less. My HF radio sits on the shelf unused because my antenna is poor.

Quote Originally Posted by KN4DWJ View Post
    What do you think about the Kenwood TS-2000. I just saw one go for $800 on ebay..
    I’m not familiar with Kenwoods, so very rarely mention them.

Eham is a good place for reviews, and you can read comments on the TS-2000 here:-

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1249

Kind regards,

Phil

Kenwood was my first ham HF radio - a TS-530, and back then they were Trio-Kenwood, because Kenwood was a food mixer brand! Since then, I've moved away from icom as a ham/commercial radio brand towards Kenwood, and now have more Kenwoods in stick than any other brand.

The Icom IC-7100 would be my choice.....I have the IC-7300 and IC-7600 and the IC-7100 and the 7100 is a nice radio!
    Good luck what ever you get!!!!!

I have 4 of the Icom 7100's. One in each of my vehicles and one in my "go box". Great all purpose radio.

While they might exist, I looked at cost and didn't notice any that covered 160 meters through 70cm. Most hams I know locally have a 2 or 3 bander that covers 2m, 220MHZ, and 70cm. For HF I have an Alinco DXsr8 for 160m through 10meters. So that means I don't have 6 meters. The GigaHz bands definately require separate radios for those freqs.

But with sunspots dropping, higher freqs can be unusable as maximum usable frequency drops; however, there have been openings on higher freqs recently.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license on Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    My Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.