Thread: Cleaning rotary switch, potentiometer and air variable capacitor contacts

Default Cleaning rotary switch, potentiometer and air variable capacitor contacts

Anybody know of an effective cleaning solution/compound? Something better than rubbing alcohol? Getting station back up and running after years of non-use/storage so receiver "moving" components have collected dust and dirt.

This is the list of contact cleaners available from RS Components:- http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/facili...tact-cleaners/

Not sure if you have RS in the USA, but I am sure you'll have an equivalent. You might also find the "air dusters" useful for blowing the dust clear before vacuuming it up.

Kind regards,

Phil

I usually flood it with 90% alcohol, the gunk flows away easily enough.
    Give it a blast with the hairdryer if you're in a hurry to turn it on again or leave it overnight.

There is non-oily switch cleaner available, a mate swears by this stuff, but I still use 90% alcohol.
    I'm sure Servisol do one too, do a quick Google for "non-oily contact cleaner", there's loads...

Thank for the tips....

Alcohol gets rid of a lot of the dirt, corrosion, etc., but there's still some on the capacitor contacts. Didn't find RS Components products when I searched the Web, but there is something here in the States called DeOxit. I haven't determined whether or not it's non-oily yet.

Amazon has something that might work, pretty cheap too, it usually costs 5 times that (even more over here).

Whatever you try, make sure you apply a tiny spot on nearby plastic to see if it melts it or not.
    I usually spray some on a cotton earbud and dab it on - you can scrub contacts like this too if you can reach them...

[edit] speaking of airdusters, I saw a youtube video a while back explaining this, which I thought was a nice idea:-

OK, it won't last long on a single charge, but it can be recharged indefinitely!

Use a wire wheel after a knife to remove the rubber around the valve.
    Disassemble the valve before you put a blowtorch on it (obviously) and make sure you don't pressurise it more than about 3 or 4 Bar...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 5B4AJB; Fri 15th Sep 2017 at 11:47.