Thread: Cleaning rotary switch, potentiometer and air variable capacitor contacts

Default Cleaning rotary switch, potentiometer and air variable capacitor contacts

Anybody know of an effective cleaning solution/compound? Something better than rubbing alcohol? Getting station back up and running after years of non-use/storage so receiver "moving" components have collected dust and dirt.

This is the list of contact cleaners available from RS Components:- http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/facili...tact-cleaners/

Not sure if you have RS in the USA, but I am sure you'll have an equivalent. You might also find the "air dusters" useful for blowing the dust clear before vacuuming it up.

Kind regards,

Phil

I usually flood it with 90% alcohol, the gunk flows away easily enough.
    Give it a blast with the hairdryer if you're in a hurry to turn it on again or leave it overnight.

There is non-oily switch cleaner available, a mate swears by this stuff, but I still use 90% alcohol.
    I'm sure Servisol do one too, do a quick Google for "non-oily contact cleaner", there's loads...

Thank for the tips....

Alcohol gets rid of a lot of the dirt, corrosion, etc., but there's still some on the capacitor contacts. Didn't find RS Components products when I searched the Web, but there is something here in the States called DeOxit. I haven't determined whether or not it's non-oily yet.

Amazon has something that might work, pretty cheap too, it usually costs 5 times that (even more over here).

Whatever you try, make sure you apply a tiny spot on nearby plastic to see if it melts it or not.
    I usually spray some on a cotton earbud and dab it on - you can scrub contacts like this too if you can reach them...

[edit] speaking of airdusters, I saw a youtube video a while back explaining this, which I thought was a nice idea:-

OK, it won't last long on a single charge, but it can be recharged indefinitely!

Use a wire wheel after a knife to remove the rubber around the valve.
    Disassemble the valve before you put a blowtorch on it (obviously) and make sure you don't pressurise it more than about 3 or 4 Bar...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 5B4AJB; Fri 15th Sep 2017 at 11:47.

For potentiometers, I use Caig Deoxit to get the scratchy out and sometimes follow up with the Caig FaderLube to lube it back up. Cigarette smoke induced scratchies can sometimes be impossible to get out. My recommendation, always leave potentiometers at "0" when not in use and of course in a non smoke environment.
    Last edited by KG5WRA; Wed 31st Jan 2018 at 13:58.