Thread: LogiTALKER Voice Keyer problem

Default LogiTALKER Voice Keyer problem

I have recently received the voice keyer. Setup was straight forward to configure for a TS590sg and to make a voice recording. The voice message keys the transceiver and can be interrupted by pressing the ptt. All fine there. When the message is being transmitted the s meter power output indicator (I use an external power meter) does not vary with peaks and lows of the speech being transmitted. Under normal operation without the voice keyer in line the peaks reach 150w. with the voice keyer in line the the indicator reaches 100w and stays at that position throughout the message transmission. I use a solid state 150 w amplifier driven at 10w from the TS590. I do not think there is a problem with that setup. I have tried altering the Xmit level control on the front of the voice keyer unit which does not seem to have any effect on the problem. I have not altered the trimmer R24 and wonder if this is what I need to do. Any help would be appreciated.

I have now managed to transmit my voice message with the power meter following the peaks and lows of the speech pattern. So this seems okay. The only problem I have now, is when i respond to a call, there is a drop in power and the indicator is sluggish in responding to my voice pattern. Also can be heard is some mains hum before speaking into the microphone and then a rushing noise when speaking which i can hear in my headphones when using a second receiver to monitor the transmission. My voice cannot be heard during the transmission only the sounds already mentioned. This happens when there is power and no power onto the keyer. There is no problem if i plug the microphone straight into the transceiver. All connections appear okay to the keyer.

Well Looks like i am on my own for this one. Many thanks for looking.

I thought of a ground loop problem but have never experienced that problem before. I have not had any problem when transmitting normally without the keyer in circuit with a station I have been using for 2 years. and not aware of any stray rf in the shack. I have checked all connections to my equipment. The cable from the keyer to the rig is okay. As mentioned it transmitted the recorded voice perfectly. It was only when i interrupted the keyer to speak normally that i experienced the audio problem. What I did do in the end was to provide an independent supply to the keyer, ie a battery pack and the keyer works perfectly. I can monitor transmitted audio by using a second transceiver with headphones to prevent feedback. This how i found out about the audio problem i originally had. Maybe the fact that i am using an independent supply highlights the fact there is a ground loop, stray rf or ac somewhere in the station setup. If there is, then i may discover in time where that fault lies. The problem was related to Idiom press but i have never received a reply. The keyer by the way did come fully assembled.

Sounds like you isolated the problem, does the keyer take 9V? If so, you could try a simple Voltage regulator on the main power supply...