Thread: Need help

Default Need help

Hello I have a Globe King 500 I have a Globe King VFO that's goes with it. I never got a receiver for this I heard that you can hook up a CB radio to it so you can receive. I was hoping I could find someone that has one of these to let me know hook to do this so I don't mess anything up please let me know. Thank you

someone has to know something about this

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
    someone has to know something about this
    I do not know anything about it, however according to a quick google search it was a 500 W AM and 400 watt SSB transmitter....
    it covered 160 thru 10 meters...later models had the VFO built in....did you get any paper work with it? There is some info on line...
    have fun with that, and stay safe.

The manual is available from BAMA (Boat Anchor Manual Archive). You'll need good copies.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

I did get the manual with this but it doesn't say anything about hooking it to a cb radio for a receiver unless I messed but I really don't remember it saying anything about it.

Couple of connectors on the back of one of the pieces labeled "antenna" and "rcvr ant". Remember how old the Globe King is: when it was built there weren't any cb radios as such, and general coverage receivers could be muted when you were transmitting. Lots of studying ahead.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

I hope I can get this figured out there has to be someone out in this world that's tried to use a cb for a receiver.
    Last edited by Moonraker; Thu 14th Sep 2017 at 04:11.

I hope I can get this figured out there has to be someone out in this world that's tried to you a cb for a receiver.
    a cb receiver won't cut it.

What can i run with it ?

What can i run with it ?
    Ok, lets say you are for real and not trolling on here....
    realistically this is a vintage rig...it is not a normal daily use rig...
    the right thing to do would be to go through it, clean it up and take your time looking for either a matching receiver or a period correct receiver and make a vintage bench..
    to get on the air HF wise, it would actually be cheaper and quicker to get a more modern HF transceiver...lots of good used ones out there at reasonable prices... and in fact some pretty decent new ones that would not break the bank...
    what you have IMO is a project, not a realistic ready to go station.

It has had new tubes put in it and gone through I do know its ready to go the guy I got it off of we hooked it up everything works. I just can find him to get the receiver for it.

Since it was just AM - the radios of the day were something along the lines of a S-38 or even a Hammerlund SP 10.....

Even a old Knight Kit Spanmaster or Star Roamer would work.

What you need is a transmit / receive relay - Dowkey company etc.

I have one for sale - $50.00 if you need one.

The relay basically takes the antenna from the receiver and connects it to the transmitter - when you engage transmit.

It's not like a CB radio - since most modern CB radios already have a built in relay that does this.

What I will say is that if all you wanted to do was work 11 meters, yes a old cb radio would work, since 11 meters was a part of the amateur radio band when this radio was new.

Not to insult the cb radio people, but CB radio did not come along until 1958!