Thread: taking my exam today

Default taking my exam today

I will be leaving in a few minutes to take my Tech exam.

~Travis
    PASSED Tech exam on 09-09-2017 (awaiting callsign)
    Equipment:
    Kenwood TS-430s, Kenwood TH-28A
    HF Antenna: Bucket-base 20 foot vertical

Good luck, I am sure you'll pass without difficulty.

Kind regards,

Phil

I passed!

I didn't have much doubt, but there is always a few fluke questions that have the possibility to throw you off.

my experience with the VEs, i rate top marks. they were friendly, and eager to help in anyway they could, aside from taking the test for me.
    they even had me take the general too, just in case i passed it. i didn't, but having seen the test, i kind of know what to expect.

~Travis
    Equipment:

Congrats!

You might want to study for the General test as soon as possible...while the Tech information is still in your head.

Thanks

I hope through the use of my license, and radios, i will retain the info by practice. but i will pick up a General study guide as soon as i can afford it.
    I try to study for the use of the information, not just the test.

~Travis
    Equipment:

Well done, and good of you to acknowledge the VEs.

Not many do, or appreciate the amount of effort that goes into holding exams. I'm a registered assessor, and have got quite a few people through their Foundation and Intermediate exams (100% record so far!). A lot of effort is required to keep up to date with changes, write the supporting notes, etc, etc, with most of my time at the club taken up with training, so it is nice to be acknowledged by the candidates. That said, it's always a pleasure to introduce more new stations to the ham world.

Kind regards,

Phil

I must say, the wait for my callsign is mind numbing. for those in the USA, what is the average turn-around before something shows up on the FCC website? i haven't found anything associated with my name or FRN in the FCC ULS, either license, or application. this is the correct place to find it?

~Travis
    Equipment:

"Mind-numbing?" In the late 1950s and well into the 1960s, waits of six months were common. I got my ticket in only about two months and everybody was astonished! It'll show up in the database in MUCH less than two months!
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Hmm, this is a bit like waiting for a drivers license while looking at a Ferrari parked in the driveway.

I understand it takes a while, but i am very anxious to be able to hit the PTT. but alas, i shall wait. it is difficult, but i will wait. as i haven't locked down exactly where i will have my ham station setup, i can at least figure that out, along with making sure the necessary safety tasks have been followed (grounding, etc).

~Travis
    Equipment:

I can remember the wait! Got the pass slip, phoned up to ask what callsigns were available, got G1 ICE - a 'cool sign'. Took all of a few days. A year later I passed the CW test, got the paperwork a couple of days later and phoned up again. G0CCC, CDE, DDD and EEE were all reserved and it would be ages before I could have G0GIL, so I plumped for G0CCX - a couple of days wait again.

I don't know how long it takes in the UK these days, but I suspect the days of being able to phone up, speak to a human (not a machine) and 'bag' a callsign are long gone. Such is progress!

So hang in there Travis, and let us know the call sign when you get it.
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

Its' just over a week here. Our members passing on a Wednesday usually get their online licence notification by the following Thursday/Friday, with the paper copy a couple of days later.

Kind regards,

Phil

Got my Tech in five days. Got the General upgrade in four days. Paper copy about a week later.

Now is the time when the VE's should have put a HRO or DX Engineering catalog in the OP's hand and told him to go out and buy a power supply, a good radio, some coax and a resonant antenna...

Too many people are in a big hurry to just get on the air, yet they don't really have anything to say.

Find yourself an Elmer, not just Joe Blow, but someone that is truly knowledgeable, that can steer you in the right direction.

Had a funny phone call this afternoon from a guy that has been a tech for 6 years.
    Said his tv wouldn't pick up the local station, wanted to know if they went off the air.

I had to explain to him solar wind, how it worked and the fact that we have strong aurora and that it enhances the VHF while disrupting UHF -- sometimes.

I was able to make a bunch of 2m FM and SSB contacts this morning, working the aurora, was good when the antenna was pointed north, not so good when the antenna was pointed south.
    I hit a bunch of repeaters that were way further away then what I could normally hit, up to 200 miles with just my Diamond V2000 antenna and Yaesu FT 8900R.

Too bad there wasn't anyone on those repeaters to talk to!

SSB was the same deal, the people I worked to the north was very loud, while nothing to the south.
    Most people were either trying to work HF or were at work, no one on 2m SSB to talk to!