Thread: Dual mode analogue or UHF digital?

Default Dual mode analogue or UHF digital?

I've been thinking about getting a dual band 2m/70cm rig for some time but because nothing seems to happen much on 70cm anyway is it worth the cost? Would I be better off just getting a 2m mobile + a uhf DMR or would a dual band DMR be more beneficial?

I have a dual band Yaesu FT-7800 in the Suzuki. I picked this up for 70, so there are bargains to be had. Radio Rallies are often a good source of cheap equipment.

That said I don't use it very often on 79cm, but that might change one day.

I also picked up a mint Yaesu FT-60E for the same price. Again, mainly 2m use, but I do have all the local repeaters programmed in.

I also have D-Star and DMR handhelds. Depending on where we are going determines which one I take, but it would mainly be the [email protected] and the DM-380 as they don't take up much room, or weigh that much.

The DMR is dual band, UHF and DMR, but it's not much good on 70cm FM, as it isn't very sensitive. That said, I can hit the repeater, 12 miles away, on 1W DMR, so it is very good for that.

if I were you, I'd pick up a second hand dual band mobile radio, and get a DMR handheld.

Kind regards,

Phil

That's one of those "It Depends" questions...... In my area (Phoenix AZ, USA) 70cm is alive and kicking. 2m is pretty busy as well. So an analog that covers both would be great. But we are also starting to get some digital repeaters and the mountaintop installations they are putting them on make them very very desirable. Only problem is there are 5 different digital flavors and they are running on 2M and 70CM and most digital radios only cover one band. So if I get a mono-band digital, I can only access 1/10th of the digital in my area. Sucks when you are on Fusion and find out your friends are all on Moto Turbo, or DMR.

So my next UHF/VHF radio will most definitely be a digital capable radio but it has to cover both bands and I want to see what the digital landscape settles on before I buy. Until then I'm more looking at HF (maybe a 10M rig) to support my upcoming test for General, so I've got TONS of time.
    KG7NDC

I seriously think now is the time to hold on. The new dual band DMR kit is coming in cheap, and at the moment it's a bit of a work in progress, but look at dual band hand-held. Within a year we went from none to quite a few, and the same I think will happen with more powerful ones. I suspect analogue only is not yet dead, but seriously ill. A few months will tell, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    I seriously think now is the time to hold on. The new dual band DMR kit is coming in cheap, and at the moment it's a bit of a work in progress, but look at dual band hand-held. Within a year we went from none to quite a few, and the same I think will happen with more powerful ones. I suspect analogue only is not yet dead, but seriously ill. A few months will tell, I think.
    Agreed. I'd like to see them convert 220 over to dig-only.
    KG7NDC