Thread: SWR meter recommendations for air band (130MHz). 1-5W

Default SWR meter recommendations for air band (130MHz). 1-5W

I'm looking for an SWR meter for glider/aircraft radio installations. It needs to cope with 118-138MHz and most importantly, will need to work with relatively low power (1 Watt CW) A typical example would be the Icom A6 which is rated at 1.5CW, 5W PEP.

I did experiment with a cheap SWR meter many years ago. Can't recall the exact make but it came from Waters & Stanton and looked similar to e.g. the AV-400, at least I recall a similar layout and rectangular blue switch. Unfortunately we could never get it to read anything at all. Either it needed a lot more power or possibly it was faulty.

I do have a background in electronics but have a rather limited knowledge of radio so any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob.

You could try a MyDEL SWR-006 METER. Any VHF VSWR meter should work, but you power level is pretty low for most...

The dual meter ham designs for 2m with the variable sensitivity knob will work well for aircraft band - and will give full scale forward readings on quite low power. They're not expensive either.

Going back a bit this one...I used a 2 mts swr mtr to setup the VHF on my flexwing microlight.

Had to make a ground plane from old flattened out 15mm copper pipe....works a treat.

Most of the transmitting I do is around 120mhz so I concentrated my efforts around that segmet of the band.

Got to contend with 8.33khz now.

Nick.

It's not SWR it is VSWR, since all we are concerned with is the voltage..
    You should always check your SWR at the lowest possible power level, this will give you a true reading of what the antenna - load - is doing..
    When you increase the voltage - what happens to the SWR? It increases..

Does SWR indicate resonance? NO! Why not? Because a 50 ohm dummy load will show 1:1 yet radiate little or no power...
    https://www.gigaparts.com/diamond-an...yABEgJWm_D_BwE