Thread: Metal roof

Default Metal roof

I recently put a metal roof on my house. 3000 sq feet of steel. Cant figure out how to make use of it to be, or enhance an antenna. That much conductive surface should be good for something.

I have a metal roof. Some of the sections are DC insulated from others by paint. I don't know if it would make a good RF ground plane or not.

my roof is dc continuous from end to end I am thinking of feeding it with a tuner.

Your amateur license is a license to experiment. Just remember, for RF connections, clean bare metal to clean bare metal. Touch up exposed areas with good primer and color after tightening connections.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

I bought a new tri-bander ( Baefong Tech 25X4) and a magnetic base antenna for it. I asked on another forum what they mean by 'metal ground plane' in the manual. I was told a metal roof, a steel cookie baking sheet, or even a metal shelving unit would work. So I have it on a metal shelf, which sits right next to my window. At 10 watts output it gets the local repeater about 20 miles away just fine.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB/AE got my Extra class license in Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no huge banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

Let's be honest, anyone who really believe the old magmount on a biscuit tin approach has NEVER tried a decent antenna. There is a huge difference between a good antenna system and one that a VSWR meter says is good. If you read metal ground plane, it simply means a car! If you have a huge metal roof - then a vertical in the middle could be impressive - but all the work trying to bond the sections together - the potential for creating havoc with oxidised joins. Remember the repeater experts on the commercial towers who discover interference from two connectors of different metals rubbing together, and rust on stand off brackets causing all kinds of grief. A metal roof where each section is friction jolted to the next might be not fun at all!

We don't know what frequency the original poster will be using - I was picturing a 33' 40m vertical on top of the metal roof which is what I would do. A metal pan that is 38 inches in diameter would work well for a 2m ground plane but I have had trouble finding a 66 foot diameter metal pan for a 40m vertical. It also depends on whether a ham is trying to hit the local 2m repeater one mile away or bust a DX pileup on 20m.

One of my relatives was offered a wagon wheel antenna... then I asked, how would we get it here ?

He decided to tell them never mind we cannot use it.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB/AE got my Extra class license in Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no huge banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

Quote Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
    my roof is dc continuous from end to end I am thinking of feeding it with a tuner.
    Another thing to consider: "DC continuous" usually is not the same as "RF continuous at HF or above".
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.