Thread: Suggest a portable?

Default Suggest a portable?

I just got my license, and purchased a couple of baofeng's which I think I've already outgrown. Having said that, I'm overwhelmed at the selection of HT's. Could one of you possibly narrow down my list? I have a list of requirements, and a few hundred bucks. I don't own a cell phone, and spend time in the Sierra Nevada mountains, up through Desolation Wilderness -- there's no cell signal, but a great repeater network. I can hear aprs traffic here as well.

aprs - high want
    gps - want
    5watts Tx minimum
    do they have an alarm feature so it makes a special noise if i call the wife at home? via repeater? special PL?
    autopatch (phone via repeater) needs to work, dtmf
    any way to send an sms text message? wife can read my aprs "message" I suppose
    usbcable/programming capability required
    longer battery life. my scanner runs for days on AA's, Baofengs are close behind. 24hours of standby possible?
    dualband monitoring would be nice, but not required
    old style lcd screen to read in full sun (no special screen), better bat life here too?
    light weight -- backpackers count grams
    lithium cells
    FM broadcast reception (AM is a plus)
    Faster scanning (at least 5 chan per second)

Could any of you possibly narrow down some choices for me?

thanks!
    -edfardos
    (new user!)

EDIT: If I had to buy today, I might go with the Yaesu FT1XDR -- somebody talk me out of this, or make a similar suggestion?
    Last edited by edfardos; Fri 28th Jul 2017 at 18:25. Reason: add features

Quote Originally Posted by edfardos View Post
    I just got my license, and purchased a couple of baofeng's which I think I've already outgrown. ?
    You never outgrow a radio of any sort. You can get fed up with one and put it away in a box until you hear it crying for attention.
    A Baofeng will keep you going for a very long time if you take time to find out what it can do. Which is more than you thought.
    I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

I have a Baofeng UV-5RA. I bought two 3800mAH batteries for it. One runs all day, about 8 hours or occasioal transmission the rest of stand by, during the Cheaha Challenge bicycle race.

Note that the version A has a problem with some spare bateries not fitting as the case, where it touches the bottom of the radio, is slightly off. The edges overlap, not allowing a click connection.

It came with an 1800 mAH battery, which doesn't seem to last all day. This radio is 4 watt, and barely reaches a repeater about 20 miles away.

No gps built-in. I don't think it has an alarm to beep when it hears a call sign. It has 2 meters and 70 centimeters.
    Last edited by N4AAB; Sun 30th Jul 2017 at 02:17. Reason: info
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB/AE got my Extra class license in Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no huge banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

My two will do the same, about 8-10 hours on RX with a few transmissions. But from the top of a hill near the cliffs, they will access a repeater around 20 miles away. Line of sight and across the sea, so that may well help.

As Sudden says, they'll do a lot, probably all you may need for a while, and then they'll still be useful as backups when you do move on.
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

As for 2m, you can built a small Yagi, and talk via satellites. I've never done it, so I am lacking in info on this.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB/AE got my Extra class license in Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no huge banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

thanks for the hints guys! dont get me wrong about the baofengs, theyre an amazing value. ill keep my pair of uv5r's. based on my requirements, i think ill go with a yaesu for the gps and digital requirements. the only problem with yaesu is a missing volume knob. the knob changes channels, not volume, unlike every other radio ever made in the history of radio. otherwise, i think it fits my bill.

thanks again!

edfardos

Quote Originally Posted by edfardos View Post
    thanks for the hints guys! dont get me wrong about the baofengs, theyre an amazing value. ill keep my pair of uv5r's. based on my requirements, i think ill go with a yaesu for the gps and digital requirements. the only problem with yaesu is a missing volume knob. the knob changes channels, not volume, unlike every other radio ever made in the history of radio. otherwise, i think it fits my bill.

thanks again!

edfardos
    Yeah, that was the dumbest move Yaesu ever made. I've been seriously considering replacing my FT1DR with an FT2 just to get past that issue, but it's not in the financial cards right now.

Read the advice given to the person on the Yaesu forum - for programming software.

Forget about wasting your time with a handheld.