Thread: new to forum

Default new to forum

I am currently studying for my Technician license. I have a Kenwood TS-430s that i just received via eBay, and plan on doing a good overhaul, based on the numerous notes i have found on the web, and that it did not survive the shipping. it was stated to work, but cut out now and then. now it turns on, but not all the way... anyway, that is an issue for a different board.
    so, as i said, i am studying for my license exam. i took the ARRL practice tests online, and got the following scores: 80%, 80%, 73%, 83%, so i have high hopes of passing, but i am still studying, just to be safe. I am sure the information will be easier to retain once i start to really use it.
    I was introduced to Ham radio by two teachers in High-School, back in the 90's. i got my license manual a few years ago, but the distance to the exam location was very daunting. i have recently found a closer exam, so my interest is renewed.

~Travis

Welcome to the forum and the hobby, Travis! Pretty bad about your radio, but you"ll get that straightened out soon. With those scores, you will do fine on the exam. I have met some great people locally and I have enjoyed ham radio so much. Please remember to check back here and let us know what you're up to.

thank you, and i will try to remember to report on how things are going. I am a member of many forums, but i do my best to keep up with most of them.

~Travis

just thought i would add, i have Asperger's, so my social interaction technique may be a bit off.

My hobbies include computer programming (mostly Arduino), riding my motorcycle (1988 Honda Goldwing 1500/6), and i recently got a used CNC router that i am bringing back to life. oh, an i have an electronic drum kit, that i am trying to progress from making random noise, toward making some sort of useful sound. I also have a personal web server that i run, though it frequently sits lonely, with just me visiting it.

also, an update on my Kenwood TS-430s, i got it working!

~Travis

Hello Travis,

And welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your studies.

Kind regards,

Phil

I don't know a lot about Asperger's, but I bet you have lots of workarounds and ways to accomplish what you want. I look forward to hearing that you got your Tech ticket! I struggle with comprehending callsigns but I have my own method to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by pmh View Post
    Hello Travis,

And welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your studies.

Kind regards,

Phil
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by essbee View Post
    I don't know a lot about Asperger's, but I bet you have lots of workarounds and ways to accomplish what you want. I look forward to hearing that you got your Tech ticket! I struggle with comprehending callsigns but I have my own method to get it right.
    https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-au...erger-syndrome

i do have some workarounds, though i am still very socially awkward. that and direct personal contact is difficult.
    but i think i am growing toward learning of ways to get past the walls before me by forcing myself into doing what may be normal for others, and awkward for me, and with practice, i change what is comfortable for me. digital communication (email, forums) is easier for me, so i figured i would start hamming about with digital modes, and filter in a bit of voice contacts as i get better at it.

~Travis

I understand the challenges you have, and thanks for that link. I have a church friend with the same condition. I think ham radio is a perfect fit for you. You can connect with other operators when you want to and then sign off whenever you've had enough. I find that almost all hams are gentlemen and -women and are eager to talk to new-comers. After looking at your location in your profiile, I see that there isn't much chance of talking to you when you get your Technician ticket.
    Good luck, and If I can help in any way please let me know.

I'm new here too! Hello to you and to other members of the forum. I'm looking forward conversing about the radio topics of this forum.