Thread: Opinions please on a pair of Quad banders

Default Opinions please on a pair of Quad banders

Any one got an opinion on a couple of Quad banders they would like to impart. Wouxun UV950P or the TYT TH9800
    Please ?
    Are they worth a punt?
    Would you buy one?
    73s Fred

I have privileges on all the amateur bands, so having just four of them isn't a good deal as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather have them all. I'm also a bit put-off by those two brands. I'd rather spend a bit more for something from a 'reputable' manufacturer. That's -opinion- so take it for what it's worth...

I own the TYT TH-9800 and I LOVE IT.

But... Here's the catch. It is really a 2 band with 6 and 10 FM thrown in. And what I mean by that is that there are almost no repeaters on 6 and 10 FM and you have to be a General to even use 10 FM. Not to mention that the legendary performance of 6M and 10M is in SSB/AM and using a horizontal dipole or other high gain antenna with elements. So while technically it is a quad band, you have two of the most useless parts of 6&10.

If you want to get into the 6 & 10 range, get something that does SSB. If you are more interested in 2/70 get something that has digital. And if you want a radio with more than 2 bands, get something like 33cm/220mhz.
    KG7NDC

Thanks Guys some interesting comments there
    I have been offered a FT 8900 quad bander for 160 now thats a bargain but like you said is 6 and 10 good bands?
    You also talk about working thr repeaters I am not sure how it works these days but back a while here in the UK repeaters were only used when mobile.
    I have only just got back into the hobby after ten years away in France and at a loss as to what rig (second hand) to buy plus its budget.
    So any advice is very very welcome
    Thanks
    Fred G1SCY

I don't know what your privileges are so don't know if you can access the FM repeaters on 6 or 10 meters. So, if you can, why not? If not, then why bother, right?
    I think I'd find out how active the bands in question are near you. If they aren't active...
    Last edited by Paul-w5lz; Mon 17th Jul 2017 at 13:45. Reason: new idea.

I don't think people bother about only using repeaters when mobile. Around here in the Midlands area I can regularly hear nets running for a couple of hours on a repeater and who won't shift to another frequency for anybody.
    The FT8900R is a great radio but is limited without SSB and AM transmission. You can switch on AM receiving if you want to list to AM stations.
    I made a unit that let me send Morse on FM via the Mic input.
    I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

I just put a TH-9800 in my truck. I have the TH-7800 as my base 2m/70cm station. I like both of them alot. The TH-9800 works the same. I think the 6m/10m bands are not that useful except I can listen for CB on the road
    I don't have or want a Quad band antenna on my vehicle, also, since the radio only modulates FM, not really useful given sporadic repeaters.

In any case, for $207, for me, it is a great dual band radio with extended bands for listening , especially CB which cam be good for hearing traffic information via truckers on the highway.

Btw, fit and finish looks great and the power output measures as advertised.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk