Thread: iCOM 5100 WILL NOT UPDATE FIRMWARE

Default iCOM 5100 WILL NOT UPDATE FIRMWARE

Hello thanks for the interest.

I have DStar problems with my Icom 5100 and it was suggested I should update the firmware as it is original and requires to be updated.

The instructions state on downloading the Firmware that to put the 5100 into update firmware mode requires you to hold in the QUICK button at the same time pressing the ON switch this turning on the firmware update capability. This does not do 'as it says on the tin' and the TX just goes each time to the programs listings.

I have completely run out of ideas now and seek ideas on how I may eventually be able to upgrade the firmware.

Thanks for any help

73 de Peter G8CVF

What does iCOM have to say about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hello thanks for the interest.
    I have DStar problems with my Icom 5100 and it was suggested I should update the firmware as it is original and requires to be updated.
    The instructions state on downloading the Firmware that to put the 5100 into update firmware mode requires you to hold in the QUICK button at the same time pressing the ON switch this turning on the firmware update capability. This does not do 'as it says on the tin' and the TX just goes each time to the programs listings.
    I have completely run out of ideas now and seek ideas on how I may eventually be able to upgrade the firmware.
    Thanks for any help
    73 de Peter G8CVF
    Make sure the rig is connected to the computer before trying to put it firmware mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uqh3HpkHTk

Ben

Default Success all's well.

Quote Originally Posted by KD3WB View Post
    Make sure the rig is connected to the computer before trying to put it firmware mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uqh3HpkHTk

Ben

After a terrible headache I found the problem. Icom wanted me to send the 5100 to them and said as they are very busy it could take up to 3 months for them to even 'look at the problem' and couldn't estimate a charge either ugh!

Anyway delighted to say when all else fails read the instructions, a simple firmware update is to manually push the QUICK button but not in my case a big NO but the HANDBOOK suggests pushing the RESET BUTTON on the back of the display (I didn't even know there was one). Pushing the button did not create a faint click that the button is operative, it wasn't it was jammed on, a change of switch and all's well.

73 de Peter G8CVF

Sorry I should have replied to your kind message but I was immediately hospitalized and was poorly for a long time completely forgetting the question was posted sorry.

The problem is now sorted as per my new message posted today.

73 de Peter G8cvf