Thread: Hello from prospective ham.

Default Hello from prospective ham.

Greetings.
    I propose to apply for my ham licence soon.

I know it's not necessary, but just for the extra gratification, I plan to get on the air with something of my own construction. Nothing fancy - probably a low power two meter FM transmitter and superhet receiver using discrete semiconductors. I am an electronics engineer so I feel confident that I'll get it working before too long. I have successfully built a few audio power amplifiers, and I have the burns to prove it.

I look forward to sharing my experiences.
    Last edited by leadfree; Mon 12th Jun 2017 at 21:28. Reason: I found answers to my question on forum.

Excellent! Nothing beats the smell of a soldering iron burning flesh, for that fraction of a second before you notice and yell!

It's rare nowadays to home brew, but the pleasure and satisfaction at talking to somebody on a device you built yourself is amazing. I work across the Irish Sea regularly, and the people there do have different ways of doing things, and seem to ignore 'fads' - which happens here too often. All the best!

not according to http://hamradio360.com as more and more home brew HAMs are active
    73 de Biton - m0wao - echolink 633710
    Elecraft K2
    dx-code

Quote Originally Posted by leadfree View Post
    Greetings.
    I propose to apply for my ham licence soon.

I know it's not necessary, but just for the extra gratification, I plan to get on the air with something of my own construction. Nothing fancy - probably a low power two meter FM transmitter and superhet receiver using discrete semiconductors. I am an electronics engineer so I feel confident that I'll get it working before too long. I have successfully built a few audio power amplifiers, and I have the burns to prove it.

I look forward to sharing my experiences.
    Great idea and nice to see users making the effort to do things for themselves.

If you want to have speak with hams from around the world prior to getting your call sign, ur ore than welcome to try something like the IRN Server.

It allows both hams and non hams to use the talk groups and have full TX and RX abilities (some talk groups crossink into RF on ham modes and u can only listen on these until u have ur ticket). Either way it's a good start to gain some radio etiquette experience. Oh, and it's free. Lol.

Gareth

For more info have a look at:
    Www.internationalradionetwork.co.uk

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hairy Coo -- A Bona Fide Electrical Engineer homebrewing his own 2 m Station! Don't hesitate getting your license as you already have the Electronic knowledge, study the Rules & Regulations and go take the Exam. BTW, Welcome to the Ham Radio Forum!

Dan
    WA9WVX

Default Reply.

Thank you all for your welcome and encouragement.
    I will keep you posted as it unfolds.

Many's the true word spoken through false teeth.