Thread: intro post

Default intro post

Hello all, I passed my Technician test last night. Had I known that I could take several tests at 1 sitting I would have prepared for General too. I took the General and only missed by 4 questions and that was without any prep. Next time!

I'm northwest of Boston, MA and I see there are a few repeaters within a few miles. I dual band probably makes sense due to the limited number of repeaters.

Back in the 70s as a kid I built a few short wave receivers and was into CB. I've tinkered in electronics most of my life. I really don't know what prompted me to get my license and I don't really have a clear idea what I want to do with the hobby. I do know that I am not interested in anything related to using computers with radio, I prefer "old school" radio communications. I'm interested in building a transceiver this winter so for now I'd like to just get started so I can figure out where I want to go. In my research all paths seem to lead to the BaoFeng BF-F8HP as an affordable option that makes a lot of sense to get started with.

Cheers,
    Michael

Hello Michael,

And welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your studies.

Kind regards,

Phil

have a Google for bitx40 as a project to build
    73 de Biton - m0wao - echolink 633710
    Elecraft K2
    dx-code

Thanks both.

@M0WAO - that bitx40 looks very interesting. I know Arduinos very well from some of my other hobbies (including 3D printing).