Thread: Noisy HF Receiver or Band ?

Cool Noisy HF Receiver or Band ?

Hello everyone, my first Post...

Many years ago back in 1960 as a teenager I was interested in Ham Radio and got my Novice license (kN4YYQ) in Palatka FL. The Rig was a 50 watt CW HF Transmitter and an old Hellicrafters Receiver with HF Dipole Antenna.

Then I enlisted in the US Navy and Retired in 1984 as a Senior Chief Fire Control Technician after 23 years. I have been working in the Ship Building and Servicing business since then.

I'm going to retire next year, I think, maybe ? LOL

Anyway I'm looking at getting back into Ham Radio again.

I currently have an old computer ISA plug In, WinRadio Receiver 1001i that I picked up on EBay.
    It works OK, but seems a little noisy and the last few days the HF Band has been noisy ?

The question is, noisy HF Band or Noisy Receiver.

Maybe I need a "Real" Communications Receiver ?

Lastly to my Fellow Vets Happy Memorial Day !

Best Regards

Paul
    Vietnam Vet
    Last edited by paul6892; Thu 3rd Aug 2017 at 17:46. Reason: typo's

these days there are so many electric appliances creating lot's of noise compared with the 60s. so yes the HF bands are indeed full of QRM these days
    73 de Biton - m0wao - echolink 633710
    Icom IC-7000
    dx-code

Paul which band was noisy. Typically the lower bands have more noise. Try your receiver on 10 meters. If you hear a lot of noise it will probably be man made noise. You will then have to track down the source.

"Ship Building & Servicing"? -- Pascagoula?
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

It wasn't till I got a SDR system I realised just how much rubbish there is around nowadays!

Quote Originally Posted by K7KBN View Post
    Hello, yes I'm a Navy contractor employed a Defense contractor company, ICI Services, we are a sub-contractor for Ingalls Shipbuilding, Pascagoula, MS., responsible for the installation,repair and testing/certification of ships Combat Systems, radars and interfacing to the command and control computers and Weapons Systems.

We are currently getting ready for Sea Trials for LPD-27 in the Gulf of Mexico

Update, I now have a fully operational Kenwood R-1000 HF Receiver (E-bay purchase), connected to a 53 foot long wire Antenna with a end feed 9:1 Balun, works great.

I'm thinking about obtaining a Tech then General class Ham License, so I'm looking for a good HF Ham Transceiver.

Latter Gents

Paul
    Last edited by paul6892; Sat 5th Aug 2017 at 17:13. Reason: typo's

Thumbs up Shipyards

Back in the eighties I worked at the Todd Shipyard in Seattle, WA

I worked for SUPSHIP Seattle from September 1974 until I retired in 2006. And I'm pretty sure you worked with SUPSHIP Pascagoula, and probably Seattle as well if you were at Todd. In 1984 I went TAD to SUPSHIP San Diego for the entire year, and a few other Surveyors went to Pascagoula in the same year. I was an Electrical Surveyor...best Civil Service job there ever was!
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

I worked for SUPSHIP Seattle from September 1974 until I retired in 2006. And I'm pretty sure you worked with SUPSHIP Pascagoula, and probably Seattle as well if you were at Todd. In 1984 I went TAD to SUPSHIP San Diego for the entire year, and a few other Surveyors went to Pascagoula in the same year. I was an Electrical Surveyor...best Civil Service job there ever was!
    Pleased to meet you Pat, yes I work with SupShip Pascagoula, we are actually part of PMS-317.

http://www.navsea.navy.mil/Home/Team-Ships/PEO-Ships/

I retired from the Yankee Navy (LOL) in Sept. 1984 as a FTCS(SW) after my ship USS Tisdale FFG-27, homeported San Diego, CA. finished RimPac 84

Sorry I got of the original thread subject !

I really like the Kenwood R-1000 HF Receiver !
    73's Paul