Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Renew Silent Key Call

  1. #1

    Default Renew Silent Key Call

    I lost my Dad a few years back and I want to keep his call sign active (W6PTS)
    I have done some basic research but am unclear on the process.
    Does anyone have any guidance?

    Thank You,
    William "Terry"

  2. #2
    Super Moderator 5B4AJB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Meneou, Cyprus


    I think you'll have to request help from the FCC website...

  3. #3


    You may not renew his call just to keep it active. That would constitute fraud. The only way for you to keep it active is to take it yourself as a vanity call.

    Normally, when a call expires it does not become available to the vanity pool until the two year renewal grace period has expired. Then it becomes fair game for anyone. Relatives of the former holder are exempt from the two year period and may request the relative's call as a vanity at any time as long as they can furnish proof of death.

    The FCC database shows your father's call as still active with an expiration date of 11/19/2017. If you wish to request your father's call before it expires, then you will have to furnish proof to the FCC of his passing. A death certificate will usually suffice. You then may request his call as a relative of the former holder.

Tags for this Thread


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts