Thread: DILEMMA: KENWOOD TM-D710G NOT RECOGNIZED IN HAM RADIO DELUXE

Default DILEMMA: KENWOOD TM-D710G NOT RECOGNIZED IN HAM RADIO DELUXE

My emails to Ham Radio Deluxe about the Kenwood TM-D710G (VHF/UHF dual band mobile radio intended use as a home base station, brand new, still have to buy antenna, power supply, etc., at acquisition and assembly stage for home station) not being a recognized radio in Ham Radio Deluxe

MY EMAIL TO HAM RADIO DELUXE:

I find Ham Radio Deluxe does not list Kenwood TM-D710G (2M/440 dual band mobile that I want to use as a base station radio) in the Connect configuration dialog box. It lists the R-5000 and a long list of TS- radios but not the TM-D710G.

How do I add the TM-D8710G to the list?

HRD RESPONSE:

Don,
    You won't find the Kenwood TM-D710G in any of our supported radio listings because at this time we do not support it. It may be added to the supported list at some point in the future.

MY REBUTTAL:

Well, do you have people working to add the Kenwood TM-D710G to the list in the NEXT VERSION? It would be something the owners of that radio, such as I, are looking forward to to that addition to the list.

HRD does support Flex Radio 1500. I can fall back to that QRP radio for the interim.

You have my VOTE to add the TM-D710G to the list ASAP!

HRD REPLY:

Don,
    No, I can say the Kenwood TM-D710G won't be added in the next release. I have no idea when it will be added. That is up to the developers and depends on when they can get all the CAT information and a loaner radio from Kenwood in order to do the programming.

MY REBUTTAL:

Thank you for that information. It is a marketing dilemma for Kenwood and Ham Radio Deluxe. Your suggestion that the Kenwood company can loan you a TM-D710G to help your program developers add the TM-D710G to the list of recognized radios is the logical approach to the dilemma. It is the only solution to this dilemma.

I will email your suggestion to Kenwood because your suggested solution will increase sales of both the TM-D710G and Ham Radio Deluxe. Kenwood will NOT say NO to your suggestion.

THE MARKETING ANALYSIS OF THE DILEMMA

How many TM-D710G radios have been sold to ham radio operators? And how many ham radio operators bought Ham Radio Deluxe? What does the marketing analysis say about those numbers? And how will the amatuer radio operators react to that marketing opportunity? I say it will be a win-win situation for both Kenwood and Ham Radio Deluxe,especially when I post this dilemma on ham radio online forums. It should spread like wildfires.

Don Hamrick/KI5SS

MY RECOMMENDATION TO AMATEUR RADIO OPERATORS OWNING THE KENWOOD TM-D710G AND HAM RADIO DELUXE:

STEP 1: CONTACT KENWOOD
    SOURCE: http://www.kenwood.com/usa/Support/Amateur_Radio/

Contact Kenwood Amateur Radio Support

JVCKENWOOD USA
    Amateur Radio Customer Support
    2201 E. Dominguez Street
    Long Beach, CA 90810

Mailing Address:
    P.O. Box 22745
    Long Beach, CA 90801-5745
    (310) 639-4200 Option: 4, Option: 1
    (310) 761-8290 Fax
    HOURS: 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. PST

Or email to: [email protected]

OR Online Contact Form at https://inquiry.kenwood.com/contact/usa/index.asp

STEP 2: CONTACT HAM RADIO DELUXE
    SOURCE: https://www.hrdsoftwarellc.com/index.php/contact-us

Contact Us
    The sales and support teams can be reached via phone throughout the day.

Please have your support ticket number ready when you call!
    https://www.hrdsoftwarellc.com/index...upport-options

ONLINE PEER SUPPORT FORUMS
    http://forums.hrdsoftwarellc.com/

Sales Hours:
    Monday - Friday 8am to 6pm EST

Support Hours:
    Monday - Friday 9 am to 6pm EST

Phone Numbers:
    US 813-434-4650
    Toll Free (888) HRD-SOFT

Our phones are closed during Hamfests and US Government Holidays.

Mailing Address:
    HRD Software, LLC.
    11705 Boyette Road, Suite 505
    Riverview FL, 33569

Sadly, a loan voice in the wilderness is doubtful as a driving force. Rebuttal is an odd choice of word too, often defined as meaning "no, you're wrong and this is why".

Ham Radio Deluxe will support it when there are sufficient out there to warrant development time. As they may well make some sales, at some point it will be commercially viable for them. It's a very clever and complex radio, so no doubt not an easy one to code properly.

Surely, if remote operation was so important the radio may not have been the idea product - assuming remote control would be coming soon was a risk.

I guess you just have to accept it - for the moment.

I had to seriously laugh when I read this.
    How many TM-D710G radios have been sold to ham radio operators? And how many ham radio operators bought Ham Radio Deluxe? What does the marketing analysis say about those numbers? And how will the amatuer radio operators react to that marketing opportunity? I say it will be a win-win situation for both Kenwood and Ham Radio Deluxe,especially when I post this dilemma on ham radio online forums. It should spread like wildfires.
    If 100 purchasers buy the radio, how many also have Ham Radio Deluxe? I for one, had never heard of it until this evening when I Googled it. Nice product.
    The marketing analysis is probably what Ham Radio Deluxe did, and the radio just isn't viable yet. They are the ones who make the money, and if they don't consider it viable - it isn't. Why will this spread like wild fire - the only people upset are those in small enough numbers to not make development worthwhile ...... yet.

You want a product, badly. It's not available. Live with it - stress just isn't worth it. Have patience, or buy a new radio that is supported, or learn to code and write your own. I somehow feel that you are angry with ham radio Deluxe and Kenwood for not getting together? Very annoying sure, enough to make you cross? Yes. Can you personally do anything about it? Nope!

All of what you wrote may be true. Some of it is absolutely true. But does that mean I cannot speak to the POTENTIAL VIABILITY of Ham Radio Deluxe adding the TM-D710G to their list of supported radios? ABSOLUTELY NOT! It is a free market driven by public demand. There is nothing wrong and everything right to try to generate amateur radio operators interest in adding the TM-D710G to Ham Radio Deluxe list of supported radios. What is wrong is your post is perceived to be an attempt to prevent or delay marketing demand.

Nothing at all wrong with wanting something you cannot have - yet, and urging them on to produce it is also fine - my issue was the somewhat indignant tone, which I read as you being not at all happy you cannot have what you need, and unhappy with the attitude of the firm in not having had the common sense to produce it because you need it, therefore so do others.

I read it a little like writing to Kenwood telling them that you want to buy one of their radios, but need them to make it a hundred quid cheaper, because then they will sell lots more! Sometimes, manufacturers do things we understand, other time because we are not privy to their intentions, they don't.

I hope one day you get the software you want - hopefully they may even read this?

paulears,

You digress to argumentum ad hominem. Your post is not worth my time to reply, though I just did.

KI5SS I guess you don't realize HRD was developed for HF.
    Last edited by W8MLS; Wed 17th May 2017 at 18:15.