Thread: Small world, isn't it.

Default Small world, isn't it.

I noticed that one of the support brackets for my old 2m beam was beginning to rust through so, as my back condition won't let me climb up ladders and throw antennas and poles around, I called in a local guy to take it down - now I can get to work rebuilding the rotator (spares permitting) and tidying up the beam. Anyone know of a source for Kenwood rotator spares - an old 400 model?

He was an old guy - older than me (60) - but his experience and knowledge lets him do things some of the younger guys won't touch. Mention the words 'amateur radio' and they politely decline the job. He did a fine job and didn't charge much. He's got the booking for when the new stuff goes up!

When he'd finished we had a chat and he asked me what my surname was so he'd know when I called him next time. When I told him it was Gilbert he asked "Were you one of the Gilberts that lived up at the top of Gibbon Road in the 1960s, on the left a few doors down from the shops?" I said that I was and he described my Dad as he was then, short and stocky, with a peaked cap (ex navy captain at the time) and working at the harbour. He then told the tale that one day he was on his bike as a young lad and had got caught by the swing bridge opening, so was keen to get going again. As soon as the safety gates opened he was off like a rocket, not noticing that some of the harbour staff were still on the bridge. In his hurry he sent one of them flying - my dad - wrecking his front wheel in the process!

Maybe I should ask for a discount next time as compensation!

And he also plays the organ, same as me. We were discussing on a vintage organ Facebook page that organs, ham radio, steam trains and model railways seem to go together. Quite a few members of the group revealed their call signs. Anyone else on here play organ, or have model railways, then?
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

Pretty cool!
    KG7NDC

Tangmere, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom

Do you know Alan G4GNX from Shoreham he it seems he also has an organ theme!!
    Pete - 2EFVL
    The QRM Formally Known As M6PAP!!
    www.selseylifeboats.co.uk
    www.amberleymuseum.co.uk

I do, we've spoken on 2m and also on one of the vintage organ forums. He's done some great stuff with virtual pipe organs. Have I heard your call sign come up on the Monday evening 2m net?
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70

Tangmere, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG0CCX View Post
    Have I heard your call sign come up on the Monday evening 2m net?
    Yes on the odd occasion not so much recently tend not to be a regular net participant!
    Pete - 2EFVL
    The QRM Formally Known As M6PAP!!
    www.selseylifeboats.co.uk
    www.amberleymuseum.co.uk

I just pop up occasionally. I usually choose Seaford Head as my location, but I can't reach (or often hear) those to the west of Shoreham. It gets a bit frustrating only hearing parts of conversations!