Thread: help on choosing radio and setting up boat

Default help on choosing radio and setting up boat

Hi I am on a sailboat in La Paz, MX planning on sailing to South America. I have a non functioning ICOM IC-M800 and Smartuner SG-230 with insulated backstay antenna. This is old, broken, and hardly worth trying to get repaired here in MX in my opinion. I'd like to start over. I am a total beginner with HAM.

I want to talk on these nets:

Sonrisa Net 3968 LSB
    Amigo Net 4149/4146 USB (Marine SSB Net)
    Pacific Maritime Net 21412 USB

Will the ICOM IC-7200 do what I need? HAM Radio Outlet can sell and ship the radio to me, they suggest also the MARS Mod IC-7200.

I have an insulated backstay antenna, I already have a SG-230 Smartuner, which I probably would replace as well. I have a copper plate in the hull for the counterpoise.

I really needc some advice here before I spend money and engineering hours setting this all up! Thank you!

US flagged boat, US owner, US credit card, located in southern Baja.

James Baumgart
    WDJ5123

You are sailing to South America? Then a proper maritime installation is pretty much de rigour, isn't it. If it can save your life on the proper HF maritime bands, and give you a chance to chat to hams as a secondary goal that's great. Plenty of Icom and other kit available for maritime ssb, with coverage of the ham band.

You are in for a great time operating on a boat. I know guys who go out of their way to operate at locations with salt water because it really helps with the antennas.

Quote Originally Posted by KK6NOH View Post
    You are in for a great time operating on a boat. I know guys who go out of their way to operate at locations with salt water because it really helps with the antennas.
    I used to be a very active member of a group of guys like you described. We were called "The U.S. Navy". Nowadays, the sailors just send the info straight to a satellite which resends it to wherever it's addressed. Only satellite we had when I was a member of that group was called "the moon".
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.