Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maximum power unlicensed band?

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison View Post
    So, does that mean my wife doesn't have to have her own call sign and license in order to speak with just me (assuming that I _do_ have a call sign and license)?

I'm about 15% of the way through my study book... please take that into consideration (thx)

James
    If she is standing next to you then she is under your "direct supervision" and can transmit on your license. But then that negates the need for a radio if you want to talk to each other.

In the literal sense, your call sign isn't you. Your call sign is the radio station that you are allowed to operate. My name is Greg, that's who I am as a person, but my amateur radio station is KG7NDC. When my wife is standing next to me or is in the car with me, she is part of the radio station that I'm operating - so she and I are both part of KG7NDC. But if she has a radio and I'm not there, then she needs her own license. Example - she borrows my car. She isn't licensed to operate the KG7NDC station.

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    The despise thing does exist in many hobby/work areas. Some brands just have a terrible rap sheet, often for no sensible reason. Not a new thing, either
    Nope certainly not. I think the BF Bad Rap comes from two things. Factually speaking they are not as robust or clean as one of the big three and that gets them some criticism. But at a sub $50 price point, it has brought a lot of people into the hobby that are less than genuinely interested in Ham Radio. They just want to hurry up and get a license without studying so they can talk on the air. In the process they end up breaking etiquette and acting a fool, or even irresponsibly - usually claiming ignorance when caught.

So when people hear you are on a BF radio, they kind of assume you are the proverbial turd in the punch bowl. As I mentioned above, you can usually discern when someone is on a BF radio. I didn't believe it until I got off of the BF and got a better Cheap Chi-Comm radio. lol But yes you can tell a difference and unfortunately some people will judge you by the behavior of others.
    N5MKH - The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper. Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself. Up is down and down is us and man is no longer an alpha predator.

Quote Originally Posted by GTGallop View Post
    Nope certainly not. I think the BF Bad Rap comes from two things. Factually speaking they are not as robust or clean as one of the big three and that gets them some criticism. But at a sub $50 price point, it has brought a lot of people into the hobby that are less than genuinely interested in Ham Radio. They just want to hurry up and get a license without studying so they can talk on the air. In the process they end up breaking etiquette and acting a fool, or even irresponsibly - usually claiming ignorance when caught.

So when people hear you are on a BF radio, they kind of assume you are the proverbial turd in the punch bowl. As I mentioned above, you can usually discern when someone is on a BF radio. I didn't believe it until I got off of the BF and got a better Cheap Chi-Comm radio. lol But yes you can tell a difference and unfortunately some people will judge you by the behavior of others.

I was in the CB world 30 years ago. When I saw 4 BF handheld for under $30.00 I jumped on them not realizing they needed to be programmed (and you need to know what that means) and that you needed to be licensed. I actually thought they worked like the Family Radio's you give to the kids.

Once they arrived I realized I was over my head. By the time I learned how to program one I already realized they were not what I wanted. Good news is it started me on a learning path which brought me to studying for my tech license and cost me less then a study book. My BF are brand new if anyone local wants them.

I understand OP challenge, I love learning new things and spend all my free time when I'm not studying reading the HAM forums which are way helpful. But my wife who has agreed to get a license because she works at remote locations in the desert and understands the need for a secondary communication method has little or no interest in the technology. Getting her to study is difficult at best.

However she has agreed to visit the local Ham Radio Club's meeting with me tonight. Hopefully there will be a female member there who can inspire her. It worked with handguns. She had almost no interest until she met a female shooter, now I have to work hard so she doesn't out shoot me.

We take our exam in a few weeks and have picked up a couple FT7900r and a FT60 to get us started.