Thread: Receiving from versus transmitting to repeater in mountains

Default Receiving from versus transmitting to repeater in mountains

I'm a new ham. My house is in a cove mostly surrounded by mountains in the Southern Appalachians. I can hear transmissions from several repeaters in the area but can't be heard. I was able to be heard (but not too well) at the top of the ridge behind the house but that is a hike. So I have two questions: (1) If I can hear transmissions just fine, is my problem just lack of power and the proper antenna? (2) Is there line-of-sight mapping software available I could run to find out if I actually do or don't have line-of-sight? Thanks!

Yes, you can often hear better than you can transmit: Just recently, the coax dropped out of thr connector of my 2m aerial. I could clearly hear the local repeater which is less than 20 km away, but I couldn't access it. Even the SWR meter showed just under 1,5 to 1 giving the impression of a good connection.

I suggest you try getting or making a small beam aerial, just three or four elements should be enough to get you to the repeater and get it up as high as possible.

I don't know about mapping software, but a regular map with contour lines should help youvwork out if you have line of site. But even if you don't, if you're not too close to the basse of a hill which is in the way, the signal can still be defracted downwards towards you.