Thread: Help getting running with PSK31

Default Help getting running with PSK31

Hi. I got my Foundation licence last week and very happy! M6YDF.
    Hoping to get into PSK31. I've had some success already but need more advice. I'm using a Yaesu FT450D with my laptop. I have the CAT serial cable between the two and the data port of my FT450D is connected to the headphone and mic sockets of my laptop. I've adjusted everything many times but still think I'm missing something. Recieve is always fine, transmitting seems the issue. When I press send in DM780 the radio goes into transmit and all seems good but I get reports of unreadability or no reply. I understand no reply could mean I'm not being heard but like I say I have a gut feeling things need tweaking. Thanks in advance

You need to be in USB mode for data signals. When selecting Digi mode on the Yaesu it gives you access to other menu adjustments such as processor, etc.

I have the settings for the FT-897D, but not the 450. I am sure such settings are freely available from a google search.

PSK Reporter is a good program to see if you are getting heard.

I set my transmit up by putting the radios readout into ALC mode, then adjusting the output from the sound card until the meter occasionally registered.

If you are not getting heard, then it could be that you have the output from the soundcard too low. You do, however, have to make sure you don't have this setting too high, or you will end up with lots of splatter.

Kind regards,

Phil

You really don't want any ALC to register when you transmit. I usually run rig at full power and adjust it with output level. I can keep power down to about 20 watts and no ALC. Also turn of any dsp filtering, NB, NR, etc. CAT control is only going to give the program the ability to adjust the vfo, change bands, and PTT. How are you interfacing your sound card into the 450? I use Signal link. I don't like to use windows sound card. Keep windows wav files separate from what I am feeding the radio.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice guys. Im literally plugging the data cable from the ft450d to 2 3.5mm jacks. Thought id see if this works before shelling out for a dedicated interface. The data socket i was using didnt have ground pin connected but found another which has. It worked well on receive so i thought id try on tx. Ill try with my new cable and report back. Still a little confused about alc.

Okay guys I've had some success. I sussed out he ALC meter but my signal going to the ft 450d was very strong. I'm still unable to adjust this on he radio (not sure if it's possible?) but a quick solution is a 1m potentiometer on the line out between the pc and radio. I'm able to bring the level below one on the display. Trouble is I'm having to keep track of where the level is and constantly adjusting. Any thoughts guys?

You don't adjust it on the radio, you adjust it by turning the output from your sound card down.

Turn it up until it occasionally shows, then nudge it down a little.

Kind regards,

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by pmh View Post
    You don't adjust it on the radio, you adjust it by turning the output from your sound card down.

Turn it up until it occasionally shows, then nudge it down a little.

Kind regards,

Phil
    Even with the soundcard volume on zero it's too loud

Use an isolation transformer on the way to the radio from the computer. Those teeny ones found on old modem cards are perfect...

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    Use an isolation transformer on the way to the radio from the computer. Those teeny ones found on old modem cards are perfect...
    Thanks for the idea. Tried it with no success. Wondering if a capacitor may work?

Quote Originally Posted by Si Rootikal View Post
    Okay guys I've had some success. I sussed out he ALC meter but my signal going to the ft 450d was very strong. I'm still unable to adjust this on he radio (not sure if it's possible?) but a quick solution is a 1m potentiometer on the line out between the pc and radio. I'm able to bring the level below one on the display. Trouble is I'm having to keep track of where the level is and constantly adjusting. Any thoughts guys?
    In my experience, and from what I have read about this, the ALC meter on this particular transceiver just has to be ignored. I am successful with PSK31 and I always have the ALC meter pegged.

Tangmere, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom

I use a SignaLink USB with my 450D never been able to get the ALC read out right, but looking at the state of some TX I'm more than happy with my nice clean TX line going down the waterfall!!
    Pete - 2EFVL
    The QRM Formally Known As M6PAP!!
    www.selseylifeboats.co.uk
    www.amberleymuseum.co.uk

Hi, Lokk at this youtube video it may give you some ideas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXFdr7BO0AA
    I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Sudden View Post
    Hi, Lokk at this youtube video it may give you some ideas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXFdr7BO0AA
    Thanks Sudden.........I was doing this. Thanks for all input. I'm getting good results with my attenuator (1M pot)