Thread: Newbie questions

Default Newbie questions

Hi
    Im going to be taking my test for general license in a week or so but am honestly not sure how interested ill be in the hobby. I am semi involved in electronic repair and one rf leads to another so here i am

I am planning on picking up an 8w baofeng with the recommended upgraded antenna. There are a few repeaters within a few miles of me (34479).

Im aware of the mixed opinions of the brand as well as somewhat aware of the limitations of the low power.

I really dont have much money to spend (i take care of my elderly mother full time) but really want to get my feet a little wet.

Is this baofeng going to gey me abywhere at all?
    Is there sometbing similarly priced i should be getting instead? Any other suggestions?

If i enjoy the hobby i will probably eventually pick up a broken somethibg and repair it.

I hope this noob post isnt too annoying. I have tried to do as much research as possible so i didny ask too many questions that have already been answered.

Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

This hobby - like a lot of others will get you what you put into it. Or another way, you get out of it what you put into it.

Your BF Radio is a lot like a lab and your license isn't a license to operate - it is a license to learn. Since the BF radios are bare bones, you will learn a lot if you want them to perform. They are capable of talking hundreds of miles from mountain top to mountain top or even with the space station and satellites, but you have to know which mountains, which satellites, which repeaters, which antennas you need to build, etc etc etc....

A lot of people crap all over the BF radios but it is the majority of the users that give them the bad name. They are impatient, they don't study, they memorize test questions and learn nothing, then they get on the air for $35 and have no manners and cause interference. What's more when people try to mentor them, they don't take the criticism very well.

So I would tell you that the radio is fine. For the money, it is probably one of the best radio's out there and since it isn't much money, it isn't much radio. You are getting what you pay for. But that same radio in two different hands will behave differently. A smart, knowledgeable operator can make a Baofeng sing. A dumb test memorizing lid will get better distance by throwing that radio then by talking on it.

When you decide where you fit, then you know what to do. Best of luck!

Edited To Add - I got a BF-B8+ when I got my ticket. Learned on it for about two years. Really loved it and enjoyed it. Now I've stepped up but still reccomend the little BF radios to new people who are willing to learn. Woxung makes good intro radios too. A little better than the BF radios. If I had it to do over I'd have gotten this:
    https://powerwerx.com/wouxun-kg-uv8t...handheld-radio
    https://powerwerx.com/wouxun-kg-uv9d...-amateur-radio
    Last edited by GTGallop; Wed 15th Mar 2017 at 20:30. Reason: Add testimonial
    N5MKH - The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper. Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself. Up is down and down is us and man is no longer an alpha predator.

The Baofeng is a very good entry radio. I started with one, and still have it.

I picked my first DMR radio tonight, and I do have 3 other handhelds in addition.

If you stick with the hobby yo can upgrade - radio rallies being a very good source for good second hand.

Radio is much more than speaking down a microphone to me. I experiment with WSPR on my own built transmitter, and I also use a lot of digital modes for the distance they get over and above phone.

It needn't cost a lot, as many of the interfaces can be home built cheaply. I run my system off a Raspberry Pi 3, a very very cheap computer.

Kind regards,

Phil

Check out the BITX-40 if you get a chance.
    It's kind of the DIY - Build a Baofeng for HF - type of kit radio.

http://www.hfsigs.com/
    N5MKH - The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper. Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself. Up is down and down is us and man is no longer an alpha predator.

Thanks for the replies. So things have kind of changed ive decided to sell a couple other things and jump into this with both feet. So now im seeking recommendations for a hf uhf vhf transceiver. I would like to keep the purchase to around $1000. I have seen so very much information saying this is awesome and that is crap etc.
    Im considering a used icom 7100 or possibly a kenwood 2000. I really want to get into digital as i am into electronics and computers. But i want a do it all kond of rig. It doesnt bother me that it doesnt do anything the best just that i can have fun trying out whatever i want.

Suggestions and comments are awesome!

Very cool on the bitx40. Im definitely going to get one to play with.

I agree with pmh to me ham radio was just never about sitting in from of a radio and making contracts all day and night there is a lot more to this hobby than just that, money will have a big roll in the hobby.The BF makes an great first time radio of you don't have a lot of money just remember to take time and read the manual and you will do just fine......

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk