Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap Chinese Radios

The trouble is the type of plastic, most of it will bend if pressed, but drop it on one of the corners, and the plastic doesn't bend, it cracks - probably along the flow line from the mould. In fairness I have a number of various Chinese radios with cracks, not just Baofengs. I've also got a kenwood too. Icom are not excluded from cracks - but I found most of these happen to the areas around the battery slide on moulding where the plastic is thin. I've also got Motorolas where the display cover popped out. However - the quality of plastic is very easy to assess when you pick them up.

A friend brought a Wouxun radio last year and all he can say is that the price speaks the quality itself.

I have a Wouxun Dual Band HT with real dual receive and crossband repeat capability. I have used it everyday for the last 2 years in my truck with and external antenna and hand mic. I also have a Mirage 30W VHF/UHF amplifier to pass through if I need more power for simplex or a distant repeater. That Wouxun, in this case, was/is worth every penny of the $115 I paid. I'd buy another in a moment.

This is first hand info...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by flboy; Thu 17th Aug 2017 at 22:29.

I'm a bit mystified by what people really expect. Radiosification stuck up a new video on youtube about this subject today.

People have really delusional expectations. Yesterday, while we were working, I took my team to a greasy spoon for all day breakfasts, and one omelette for the heath conscious one. With four coffees it was over 30 quid. That is more than the radios people complain about! You cannot compare a full commercial price radio from ANY of the big name brands with a Baofeng. Have you been into a toy shop and looked at the rubbish in there? Anything with batteries is expensive, made in China and broken in weeks. We do amazingly well to get a dual band sensible power handheld for TWENTY FIVE QUID!!!!

I'm getting so frustrated with the continual bashing of a product that does so well. Have you seen how much Lego you get for 25? Have you seen how much other hobby items cost - Hornby Railways is a good example. 25 gets you no engine whatsoever, and if you want a Flying Scotsman or something it's 150 or something similar. You might get a Thomas the Tank Engine for 30.

If people are buying these to enter the ham radio world, I'd have to humbly ask - what on earth do they expect for the price. If the deviation is set a little low, then they can live with it, talk louder, or maybe take it apart and learn how to adjust it!

If we were complaining about the slightly dull audio on a Kenwood that cost 300 compared to the similar Motorola, that's a fair comment. Maybe to complain that programming the latest Icom is a little tricky compared to the Yaesu would be fair comment too. They cost quite a bit more, and the comments are worth talking about. Moaning about a bargain basement product that costs the same as a fried breakfast you regret eating ten minutes later is a total loss of reality and common sense.

I have loads and loads of different radios, and frankly if I had a job come up where I knew there was a chance of breaking a radio - working at height, working in confined spaces, working on 4X4 video shoots in muddy woodland - the expensive radios would stay on the shelves and I'd be handing out baofeng 888s to anyone, not even bothering to keep a record of who had them. At the end of the day - the ones dropped, broken, trod on and bent would just be consumable items in my accounts and written off!

Why do we continually compare a 25 radio with one costing fifteen times the price and then shouting loudly that the cheap one isn't as good as the expensive one - surely common sense told you that when you made your buying decision.

Sorry for the rant - but people seem to expect everything for nothing, and don't seem to understand quality costs!

paulears, I agree. While some local hams don't care for the cheap radios, I like mine. It does what I want. Its not my $500 HF rig, its for 2 meters. I use it for the bicycle race in May, and 1 to 3 times a week for our local 2m chat net.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license on Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    My Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

Some manfacturers did this, but not all did so. Nowadays the R&D capabilities of the Chinese radio manufacturers are improving. They have got more and more patents and some truly got the certificates.

I've just installed a QYT KT-8900D in the car and performs very well. 25W on VHF/UHF, it transmits and receives as good as some of the more expensive rigs on the market but for less than 80UK, it does everything that I want it to do.

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    I'm a bit mystified by what people really expect. Radiosification stuck up a new video on youtube about this subject today.

People have really delusional expectations. Yesterday, while we were working, I took my team to a greasy spoon for all day breakfasts, and one omelette for the heath conscious one. With four coffees it was over 30 quid. That is more than the radios people complain about! You cannot compare a full commercial price radio from ANY of the big name brands with a Baofeng. Have you been into a toy shop and looked at the rubbish in there? Anything with batteries is expensive, made in China and broken in weeks. We do amazingly well to get a dual band sensible power handheld for TWENTY FIVE QUID!!!!

I'm getting so frustrated with the continual bashing of a product that does so well. Have you seen how much Lego you get for 25? Have you seen how much other hobby items cost - Hornby Railways is a good example. 25 gets you no engine whatsoever, and if you want a Flying Scotsman or something it's 150 or something similar. You might get a Thomas the Tank Engine for 30.

If people are buying these to enter the ham radio world, I'd have to humbly ask - what on earth do they expect for the price. If the deviation is set a little low, then they can live with it, talk louder, or maybe take it apart and learn how to adjust it!

If we were complaining about the slightly dull audio on a Kenwood that cost 300 compared to the similar Motorola, that's a fair comment. Maybe to complain that programming the latest Icom is a little tricky compared to the Yaesu would be fair comment too. They cost quite a bit more, and the comments are worth talking about. Moaning about a bargain basement product that costs the same as a fried breakfast you regret eating ten minutes later is a total loss of reality and common sense.

I have loads and loads of different radios, and frankly if I had a job come up where I knew there was a chance of breaking a radio - working at height, working in confined spaces, working on 4X4 video shoots in muddy woodland - the expensive radios would stay on the shelves and I'd be handing out baofeng 888s to anyone, not even bothering to keep a record of who had them. At the end of the day - the ones dropped, broken, trod on and bent would just be consumable items in my accounts and written off!

Why do we continually compare a 25 radio with one costing fifteen times the price and then shouting loudly that the cheap one isn't as good as the expensive one - surely common sense told you that when you made your buying decision.

Sorry for the rant - but people seem to expect everything for nothing, and don't seem to understand quality costs!
    I basically agree with these posts that say that Chinese radios are good for the money. As a matter of fact, I have GT-3 BAOFENG, and it woks fine. The battery is excellent even after 4 years of use.
    What I was hoping to see here, is if someone has specifications for Chinese radios. I am now working on UHF/VHF network and I can not find specifications like for example sensitivity. Most of Chinese sellers say that the radio can function in 10 km radius, and they stop there. The older brands like Kenwood, Yaesu, Motorola and similar have 2-3 pages with small letters filled with specifications about the radio.