Thread: I don't really care what you call yourself

Default I don't really care what you call yourself

As the title says.

But have you read this about Noobs. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Noob

Newbie I can nearly understand the use of. Why not call yourself a Learner, so much nicer.
    I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

Interesting & informative about the people that post thread questions when they consider themselves in this manor. This makes me wonder whether they know that they're insulting themselves in front of the whole world? It is almost as bad as stating the following, "Hi I'm an Idiot, can you tell me everything about this hobby and break it down in small word bites!" Rather unbelievable from an experienced ham operator stand point. JMHO

Dan
    WA9WVX

I've noticed a change in society whereby many expect everything handing to them on a plate, with minimal to no effort on their part.

I do think that most of the posters on this forum are eager to learn and get operating, but it is best done in stages. Many are asking questions when they are not always knowledgable enough to understand the answer.

That said, tolerance is a virtue, and we should do all we can to encourage people into our hobby.

Perhaps people new to ham radio will refer to themselves "new to the hobby", rather than "noobs".

Kind regards,

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by pmh View Post
    I've noticed a change in society whereby many expect everything handing to them on a plate, with minimal to no effort on their part.
    I believe the word used in this case is "Entitlements" and I must admit that I hate the very thought of the entitlement generation! I've worked hard for everything I have and see too many able bodied, unemployed, lazy jerks with the latest ipad, tablet, telephone, etc gained through my taxes. ... sigh ...
    Charlie

In the UK, education is a mess, and instead of pointing at the higher end - Degrees and Masters etc, the new thrust in in providing these 'entitlement' folk a qualification that really means they were breathing. We added to Level 2 (The UK expectation for school leavers at 16), Level 1 - which means nobody should leave school with no qualification, despite Level 1 really meaning they were present. There is talk about there being one at foundation level, which is even lower. Many 16+ colleges are now dumping their Higher Education courses in favour of the low level ones, which generate more funding!

Noob - is apparently a derogatory descriptor, which could potentially be an infringement on their Human Right. In the UK we don;t use the word 'student' any longer because it also has a derogatory context - student being a word often used to point somebody out as inferior, or not quite 100%. The current term is 'learner' which is more acceptable to older returners to education - apparently referring to somebody in say their forties as a student is a negative - learner is nicer???

Noob is a put down. Newbie means new at something. I had no problems calling myself a student when I went to university in my late 30s and early 40s.

The willingness to be called a student should be one of the criteria for entrance to any schooling.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB/AE got my Extra class license in Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no huge banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

Quote Originally Posted by N4AAB View Post
    Noob is a put down. Newbie means new at something.
    I agree on that one.

"Noob" is internet/gaming slang and most amateur radio associations, such as the ARRL, RSGB and so on, try to promote a code of conduct of sorts, which includes how you present yourself to others. So, to me at least, putting some though into your first few posts, such as saying "Hi, I'm getting ready to go on the air soon, but have a problem/need advice..." sort of thing is much better than "Hi, I'm noob, can someone tell me how to do this..." In most cases, these forums and such can be seen by the world (or at least by the CIA, NSA and GCHQ...), and they will judge us on the how we write, ask question and give help.

Apparently, in the offices at college - students aren;t even learners, they're 'units of funding'.

Seriously though, all areas have jargon that splits the users. In my own entertainment based area, dancers are twirlies. Have been for years and years, however some younger ones often get very annoyed by being referred to like this. The actors are 'turns', the crew can get quite waspy being referred to as techies - as technician is a bit too dignified. Musicians are musos - if they get talked to or about at all. Our sound people are noise boys, the video guys become vidiots and the lighting people just get called LX, sparks, or more commonly, twats. Extremely UN-PC comments abound, and outsiders can be shocked. We have huge numbers of gay folk in the industry, and nobody gets offended by 'labels' - most of which make me laugh. Hearing a groan from a dressing room, revealed a Ginger, Jewish technical guy - the initiator of huge numbers of practical jokes, tied up on the floor, with a strip of bacon gaffer taped to his forehead. Can you imagine the reception this would have got in the real world (ours is all pretence). When I released him, he had a huge grin, and detailed how while tied up he was plotting his revenge against the rest of them. This is what I am supposedly in charge of.

Labels are labels, and as long as they're meant well - it doesn't matter. It's OK to be offended personally, you cannot be offended on behalf of somebody else - that's where it gets ridiculous.

Found the manual

Twirly Operating Instructions
    •INTRODUCTION
    Thank you for working with the latest version of TWIRLY operating system. New
    information has been made available in the past few weeks as to how the
    TWIRLY actually operates. Please read on to gain a detailed insight into the
    functions and features of your TWIRLY or TWIRLYS.
    •OVERVIEW
    Your TWIRLY is shipped from college or dance school with a default set of
    System Parameters. These Parameters cannot be changed in any way, but with
    careful and patient instruction new ones can be installed. However, once these
    Parameters are added, it becomes impossible to reverse the process. When
    using more than one TWIRLY, particular attention should be paid to the
    Parameters each TWIRLY is installed with. Failure to follow instructions is likely
    to create a clash of interests within your LINE of TWIRLYS, rendering them
    useless.
    The useful lifespan of your TWIRLY is limited. Burnout from excessive Bouncing
    or the sudden desire to be a childrens television presenter will render your
    TWIRLY useless within 5 years. TWIRLYS that do not suffer from the above
    disorders find themselves hunting for a powerful and preferably rich producer or
    director and once found, they will devote their time to persuading the chosen
    victim into marriage or giving them a job doing absolutely nothing at all.
    Remaining options are choreography or starting a Dance School that will enable
    them to influence a new generation of TWIRLYS and so ensure the survival of a
    fragile and endangered species.
    TWIRLYS will automatically pair themselves with a buddy TWIRLY. The major
    bonus to this is that you will only have to install certain parameters into each
    TWIRLY. See Additional Software for further information. The down side is that
    your TWIRLY will spend less time with you and you will begin to lose control of
    them.
    Page 2
    •DEFAULT OPERATING SYSTEM
    All TWIRLYS have a base operating system that cannot be changed. There is
    no point in trying to change these parameters as you will become easily
    frustrated and waste your valuable time.
    •Basic Parameters
    i Standing at “10 to 2” when in standby mode.
    ii Counting (not including arithmetic). Most TWIRLYS have the
    ability to count from 1 to 8, but not as far as 10. The most likely
    cause of this is a complete misunderstanding of their 8-Bit
    Programming. Some early models were fitted with 16-Bit
    Programming but this had to be scrapped due to the chaos caused
    during rehearsals.
    iii The ability to stand and stretch in the most inappropriate
    location possible. ie staircases, doorways, cash machines etc.
    iv The ability to chat and make noise in silent locations. ie
    anywhere in a theatre.
    v Inversely linked to Parameter (iv), a sudden attack of laryngitis
    that renders them completely unable to sing during a rehearsal or
    performance. This parameter is reversed when a relative, or
    more importantly, their agent, has arrived to see their adopted
    TWIRLY in action.
    vi After consuming vast amounts of food and alcohol at a company
    night out, the ability to stand up and argue that they only had a
    side salad and a mineral water, thus their share of the bill
    should only be a fiver, before fucking off and leaving the techies
    to foot the remainder of the bill.
    vii A complete lack of common sense.
    viii Bouncing and Bopping as soon as music is audible.
    ix The need to use a hair dryer at least 4 times a day.
    x The ability to not stand in the light allocated to them whilst on
    stage but quite happily get in the way of any lights when lurking
    in the wings.
    xi Upon entering a theatre or venue TWIRLYS lose the ability to step
    over anything more than an inch high. How they cope in the
    outside world with kerbs, pavements, and escalators is
    completely unknown.
    Page 3
    •Additional software
    Any everyday function of a normal earth-dwelling humanoid can be programmed
    into your own TWIRLY. The more complicated the function you wish to install,
    the more time and patience you will have to devote to it.
    It is NOT advised that you start with Quantum Mechanics or Astrophysics, as
    these parameters will be totally useless due to Default (vii).
    •Suggested Installations
    1 Self Dressing. Saves hours waiting for a dresser to arrive.
    2 Coffee and Tea Making. You don’t want them to dehydrate through
    excess chatting.
    3 Advanced Navigation. Incorporates home, work, and leisure
    locations only.
    4 Taxi finding. A must if you have more than one TWIRLY. If
    installed along with advanced navigation in a single TWIRLY, it
    will spend its entire time trying to persuade other TWIRLYS in
    your LINE to travel home with it.
    5 Shoe lace tying. You wouldn’t want your TWIRLY to fall over
    unnecessarily.
    6 Door Shutting. Stops them pissing your mates off. See further
    installation on advanced door operation.
    7 Food ordering. Essential if you plan on letting your TWIRLY out
    unattended otherwise they will just sit in a restaurant
    complaining that their food hasn’t arrived not realising that they
    haven’t actually ordered. Don’t let your TWIRLY starve. You’ll
    never hear the end of it.
    8 Fashion. Should never be installed as your TWIRLY will end up
    looking a complete twat. Due to an unfixable bug in the main
    operating system most TWIRLYS have a default of fashion ON. This
    can become contagious in groups of 4 or more TWIRLYS and will
    result in them wandering around fashion stores for days trying to buy the
    same outfit as the contagious TWIRLY. In some extreme cases TWIRLYS have
    been known to self-destruct in high street stores, causing untold damage when
    they have not found the desired garment.
    9 Shagging. Should really be the first installation as the
    instruction is fun.
    Page 4
    •Suggested Installations (cont.)
    10 Advanced door operation. Includes opening and closing doors by
    pushing, pulling and handle use. Known problems occur on stage
    when your TWIRLY needs to understand the motivation behind
    using the door and exactly how they should make their entrance.
    When the door in question is built into a flying piece they
    completely lose the ability to shut the door and lock it behind
    them. This seems to be linked once again to Default (vii).
    11 Intelligence. Not a viable option.
    12 Dancing. No need to install. Although not a true part of the default
    system most TWIRLYS seem to learn this incredibly quickly,
    probably due to Default (viii). Take them to a club, turn the music
    on and sit back with your lager and watch them TWIRL. If your
    TWIRLY goes out with a group of fellow TWIRLYS make sure a
    TWIRLY installed with Taxi-Finding is part of the group.
    13 Technology. Walkmans, CD Players, Cameras, Videos etc.
    Although TWIRLYS fall in love with this sort of gadget they seem
    to be totally incapable of operating them. The idea of plugging
    something into the mains never even enters their minds. They also lack
    the ability to understand that batteries do not last forever and have to be changed
    or charged. They will be completely astonished when having dropped an item
    and watched it smash into a million pieces it fails to work again. Most will burst
    into tears when you tell them it’s completely fucked and you cannot fix it.
    14 In-built communications system, more widely known as a mobile
    phone. This function is particularly useful as it enables your
    TWIRLY to contact you in the inevitable event of navigation
    failure.
    •Operating notes
    Never expect too much from your TWIRLY. No matter what you
    install they will always suffer from Default (vii). Don’t get
    frustrated.
    There are two things a TWIRLY will never say even after
    extensive programming.
    1 Nine.
    2 Can I buy you a drink.

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    Apparently, in the offices at college - students aren;t even learners, they're 'units of funding'.

Seriously though, all areas have jargon that splits the users. In my own entertainment based area, dancers are twirlies. Have been for years and years, however some younger ones often get very annoyed by being referred to like this. The actors are 'turns', the crew can get quite waspy being referred to as techies - as technician is a bit too dignified. Musicians are musos - if they get talked to or about at all. Our sound people are noise boys, the video guys become vidiots and the lighting people just get called LX, sparks, or more commonly, twats. Extremely UN-PC comments abound, and outsiders can be shocked. We have huge numbers of gay folk in the industry, and nobody gets offended by 'labels' - most of which make me laugh. Hearing a groan from a dressing room, revealed a Ginger, Jewish technical guy - the initiator of huge numbers of practical jokes, tied up on the floor, with a strip of bacon gaffer taped to his forehead. Can you imagine the reception this would have got in the real world (ours is all pretence). When I released him, he had a huge grin, and detailed how while tied up he was plotting his revenge against the rest of them. This is what I am supposedly in charge of.

Labels are labels, and as long as they're meant well - it doesn't matter. It's OK to be offended personally, you cannot be offended on behalf of somebody else - that's where it gets ridiculous.
    I was in theatrical design for about a year. I don't recognize those labels... except for techs. Everyone pretty much else said 'dancers can't act !'... I pointed out they aren't actors, they are dancers, and got laughed at. Which I thought was rather silly of them. Or that singers can't dance. I pointed out 'why would you expect them to ?'

Each part of the department was in its own little world.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB/AE got my Extra class license in Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no huge banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

It doesn't really matter what we call ourselves because we know ourselves more than anyone else. Same goes with labeling, no one has the right to label others without considering their comfort on it. The important thing is that we do what we want and we enjoy it. This is an interesting discussion.

Looking back - it's also clear territory has a huge impact on words in common use, as does age, gender and socio-economic grouping (UK readers call this one 'class').

Once you then split that into hobby or work groupings it goes astray really badly. However - offence being taken is not an indication it was meant, so while we might cringe at some terms, that's just our opinion on a word - used wrongly, almost any term can be turned into an insult. The CB, Ham, novice, restricted, newbie, student stuff. "He is just a student" or "He is a brilliant student" - same word, two different results.

Of course - the real answer is that we just hate some words for no logical reason at all - I'm cool with that really.