Thread: Mobile radio interferes with stereo

Default Mobile radio interferes with stereo

I've just installed a Yaesu FT-8900 in a Toyota Yaris. When I transmit on 2m at high power, my JVC head unit goes crazy. By this I mean the LCD rapidly displays lots of weird characters and colors. I'm trying to understand exactly why this happens, and whether it can cause long term damage to the stereo. I don't know if the problem is with RF or the DC power supply, so I'm going to explain the whole setup in detail:

Most of the wiring was already in place from when I installed a subwoofer amp and 300W pure sine inverter. My logic is, I'll never be blasting the subwoofer while transmitting on ham, so the wire size should be adequate. I rarely use the inverter, and for the sake of solving this problem, let's assume it's always off. Thoughts on wire sizing?

The Yaesu is mounted behind the glove box, about 3ft away from the stereo. Could proximity be the problem? The Yaesu control panel is right next to the stereo, but that shouldn't matter, right?
    The Yaesu antenna line runs inside the A pillar to the roof, right next to the Toyota factory antenna for the stereo. Is that a problem? The antenna is a Larsen NMO2/70B on a hole mount.
    Last edited by KK6YTN; Tue 28th Feb 2017 at 03:37.

I'd be looking at the proximity between the vehicle radio antenna and the one you're using on the FT-8900. In my Vauxhall Vivaro - my Yaesu antenna is dead centre, about 600mm or so from the vehicle aerial. Transmitting on VHF gets back in through the aerial to the aftermarket touch screen clever (but Chinese) satnav/DVD/CD/android gizmo, and apart from making radio 2 vanish, doesn't really cause the unit any problems - BUT - this unit is also connected to vehicle data bus and when I press the PTT, my speed drops to zero - well, not the real speed, but the speedo dial reads zero, and the mileage stops recording on the odometer. releasing the PTT makes the needle zoom back up to whatever I'm doing. On marine band, the PTT makes the console central display, connected to the same data bus do strange things - flash normally, but sometimes the temperature drops to below freezing. Not every time - sometimes it just flashes. I confirmed the problem is just my RF getting back in rather than any DC coupling with the power supply. There seems no real easy way to prevent it - maybe a ferrite ring on the aerial feeder to the vehicle radio, but I somehow doubt that is the problem. I live with it.

My ham antenna is about 12" away from the stereo antenna. But oddly enough, I haven't had this problem since that first day! I don't know why. If it happens again, I'll try removing the stereo antenna, and I'll report back here.

Thumbs up re; radio interference with stero

Your yeasu radio power cord should go directly to the battery,instead of the terminal where every thing else is connected..