Thread: Is it worth paying C&G 44 to replace my certificate from 1981 ?

Default Is it worth paying C&G 44 to replace my certificate from 1981 ?

I passed my theory exam in 1981, but never applied for a class B license - though for some reason I think I know I was allocated a particular G1 callsign.

35 years later, I find I am interested in getting on the air and have finally started to learn Morse.
    I'm really only interested in QRP CW and the various forms of data transmission.

I'm hoping to retire to Rural France in a few years' time and will therefore have room for full-size antennas - so will need a transferable license ...

It's highly unlikely that I will be able to locate my pass certificate and C&G want 44 just to look ... presumably with no guarantee of success.

I'm wondering if anyone has had success with this process, and / or what sort of license would I end up with ?

Tangmere, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom

If you can prove you had the call or maybe confirm an address at the time you could be lucky.
    I would ask Offcom anyway - It's free!!
    PS G1 It's now a full UK licence!
    Pete - 2EFVL
    The QRM Formally Known As M6PAP!!
    www.selseylifeboats.co.uk
    www.amberleymuseum.co.uk

You could look on eBay for an old RSGB year book that has your call sign and address in. At least this would count for some proof.

Kind regards,

Phil

Thanks all ...

Since I will now be moving to France as a "foreigner" and will likely be applying for residency after the required 5 years of residency, I may in any case eventually attempt the French exam ..

All this because I was buying Arduino stuff on ebay and couldn't resist buying a SDR dongle and a pixie kit.
    A half size G5RV is now on its way ..

:facepalm:

To renew your license you will need to supply OFCOM with your C&G pass certificate - I came back after 20 years and got my old call back - PLUS they wanted my Morse paperwork too, to get back the G4 - which had the mores requirement, so to reactivate it I needed to find them, which luckily, I did. Personally - 44 quid is a drop in the ocean - a few metres of coax, a few plugs, a mic or too - C&G keep good records, as an awarding body for public qualifications, they have to.

Good point. It's not that much money in today's world.

Kind regards,

Phil

Not that I'm in a massive hurry, but has anyone else had problems with OFCOM ?

On the 10th of April they told me they were ready to allocate me the next available callsign and that it would take a few days for the payment to clear ...
    I emailed them on the 28th of April, but they said there was no way to speed it up ....

Yes, City and Guilds sent me a replacement certificate within a week

Quote Originally Posted by gentlegreen View Post
    Thanks all ...

Since I will now be moving to France as a "foreigner" and will likely be applying for residency after the required 5 years of residency, I may in any case eventually attempt the French exam ..
    No need, if you get your UK license back, it will be a CEPT1 class license which means you should be able to get a French callsign without any exam - that's how it worked for me when I moved to Finland.

Would it be worth the cost? Beat's me, you have to answer that one. Having a license from your country certainly can make getting a license in another country easier. I have enough trouble with exams in english, don't even want to think about one in another language! Have at it!
    Paul

Turns out they're having trouble with their finance dept...

I was forced to actually pick up the telephone.

I have now been registered as M0IIU - so I suppose I'd better get my finger out and make use of it...

Reassuringly, the PDF they sent me is typed in French and German as well as English

Blimey! C'est schrecklich!
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

:d ........................................