Thread: Question Concerning MFJ 1622

Default Question Concerning MFJ 1622

Living in an apartment it appears that the MFJ 1622 is the only solution I have for a ham antenna. But in examining how this antenna mounts on a window it means that I never will be able to totally close the window while the antenna is in place. Unless I want to lose heat in the winter and AC in the summer, it appears that my only solution is to mount/dismount the antenna and open/close the window every time I want to use it. This is absurd. Has anyone figured a work around for this situation?

Tangmere, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom

Welcome to the forum.
    Not sure if this will answer your question but it's a starting point: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2035
    Pete - 2EFVL
    The QRM Formally Known As M6PAP!!
    www.selseylifeboats.co.uk
    www.amberleymuseum.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by jersey boy View Post
    Living in an apartment it appears that the MFJ 1622 is the only solution I have for a ham antenna. But in examining how this antenna mounts on a window it means that I never will be able to totally close the window while the antenna is in place. Unless I want to lose heat in the winter and AC in the summer, it appears that my only solution is to mount/dismount the antenna and open/close the window every time I want to use it. This is absurd. Has anyone figured a work around for this situation?
    I would suggest to measure your window frame side to side, then get a piece of 2 x 4 cut in for the measured length and drill a hole the size of a PL-259A UHF Connector so you can feed the RF Connector and Coaxial Cable through the 2 x 4 board then close the window down tightly against the 2 x 4 board. Now to close the gap on the top of the window, purchase some heavy project foam from a Hobby Lobby Craft Store and shove that into the opening between the two windows sealing off Cold or Warm Air from the outside. You could also cut a small piece of the project foam to seal the hole where the Connector and cable is routed through. This project foam was used back in the 1960s for sealing any outside air from entering a home when installing window Air Conditioners and it worked very good.

Dan
    WA9WVX

Quote Originally Posted by jersey boy View Post
    Foam weather stripping available at Walmart. Cut it to the width of you window (2 pieces) One goes below the antenna mount, the other on top and close the window on it and the foam will seal the draft.