Thread: Amateur Radio HT that includes Aviation Band (for monitoring only)

Default Amateur Radio HT that includes Aviation Band (for monitoring only)

Hello,

I've been absent from Amateur Radio for 10 years and am ready to begin again with a new Hand-held.

I'm looking for an HT that has 2m, 440 AND the Aviation Band. I'm a private pilot and along w/transceiving on 2m and 440 I'd like monitor the aviation band (especially since I live near O'Hare airport).

It seems like there's not much out there that meets this criteria. At least not like I remember 10 years ago.

Does anyone have suggestions for brands/models?

Thank you in advance,
    Bob (K9SKY)
    [email protected]

What are the aviation band frequencies in your location?
    I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

My Icom IC-E80D, and Yaesu FT-60E both cover airband. I've recently programmed the local airports/airfields (Manchester and Barton) in.

I would expect the American versions of these handhelds would adjust the airband frequencies accordingly.

108MHz to 136MHz AM is the general woad.

Kind regards,

Phil

Don't believe there's a LEGAL handheld for amateur radio (certificated for part 97 of the FCC Rules) that is also certified for Air Band use. Perhaps for listening only, but not for transmitting.

That's for the USA; your circumstances may be different.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudden View Post
    What are the aviation band frequencies in your location?
    The frequency range is:
    110 - 136

Quote Originally Posted by K7KBN View Post
    Don't believe there's a LEGAL handheld for amateur radio (certificated for part 97 of the FCC Rules) that is also certified for Air Band use. Perhaps for listening only, but not for transmitting.

That's for the USA; your circumstances may be different.
    Thank you. Like I said in my original post this would be for monitoring only.

Oddly enough, I think the much maligned Baofengs will do this. I'll pull mine out and test when I get a break later today.
    KG7NDC

Quote Originally Posted by GTGallop View Post
    Oddly enough, I think the much maligned Baofengs will do this. I'll pull mine out and test when I get a break later today.
    I don't think so. The manual for my Baofeng UV-5RE says it covers 136-174 MHz and 400-480 MHz and I can't get it to tune any frequencies in the air band.

On the other hand, four of my Yaesu radios, two HTs (FT-60, FT1DR) and two mobiles (FT-7900R, FTM100DR) cover the air band (receive only) as they came from the factory. I can't speak specifically to Kenwood or Icom radios, but I suspect that most of them also have extended receive.

I found this video on YouTube it might be of interest to anyone with a Baofeng UV5R. I haven't tried it yet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAxd...c-34f5bb279880

Be careful it might be a hoax
    Last edited by Sudden; Fri 6th Jan 2017 at 20:59.
    I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

Quote Originally Posted by GTGallop View Post
    Negative, Ghost Rider.

I could get it to do 136.000 and not a bit lower. 135.9995 would reset to 136.000
    KG7NDC

The FT-60 would seem a decent choice - mine is quite robust too - a properly made radio, and also has variable steps - although not the new 8.33KHz airband ones - you can do 5/10/12.5KHz, but to be honest, the filters mean it's a 12.5KHz radio really, so you can get close enough to listen to the new steps.

I would add another vote for the FT-60. Picked up a minter at our last radio rally for just a little over half new price.

Programmed it with Chirp in minutes, got Manchester airport in for when we go to the observation Park, and also picks up nicely sat on the station desk.

Kind regards,

Phil