Thread: Moorse Groups

Default Morse Groups

Does anybody know of either a Facebook/Yahoo or forum for computer morse/cw. Or is there a gruop on here?
    I can't do key operated morse/cw my fingers won't keep up with the brain.

I am using the term morse/cw because I don't know the proper description.
    Last edited by Sudden; Thu 15th Dec 2016 at 19:10.
    I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

Not sure if there are any forums or groups.

We have a Friday night club net, on 2m, which includes CW and helps greatly. We also use some apps to aid training, in addition to jumping in the deep end and having some QSOs.

Maybe there is something similar in your area.

What is it you are looking to do?

Kind regards,

Phil

Sudden,

Here's a website dedicated to CW / Morse Code and even a Beginner section. I know learning the Morse Code is not an overnight success, it takes constant activity to conquer the Morse Code as a second language and the individual must learn to use short cuts such as the word You is just the letter "u" or my QTH is Elgin IL rather spelling out the entire state Illinois or how r u doing? And even if ur using a keyboard, just type in the short cuts as the operator on the other end will never know what ur using.

http://www.skccgroup.com/

Here's another website, this one may be the one you're looking for:

http://www.themorsecrusade.g5fz.co.uk/tag/yahoo-groups/

Dan
    Wa9WVX

Their are hams that use TNC'S (Terminal Node Controller) some will do CW plus a lot of other things ie. Packet, Rtty etc.
    Steve
    KC8IDM

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sudden View Post
    Does anybody know of either a Facebook/Yahoo or forum for computer morse/cw. Or is there a gruop on here?
    I can't do key operated morse/cw my fingers won't keep up with the brain.

I am using the term morse/cw because I don't know the proper description.
    Sudden,

You send and receive the Morse Code consisting of Dots & Dashes using a hand key, a bug or a computer keyboard on a transceiver in the form of Continuous Wave Signal or better known as CW.

Dan
    WA9WVX

Quote Originally Posted by WA9WVX View Post

You send and receive the Morse Code consisting of Dots & Dashes using a hand key, a bug or a computer keyboard on a transceiver in the form of Continuous Wave Signal or better known as CW.
    Dan
    WA9WVX
    Hi Dan,
    Thanks for your help.
    It is not the use or operation of morse by computer that I am looking for.
    It is a forum much like this one where like minded people can ask question or just chat about their various programs and equipment.
    I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

Default Looking

My friend, you are there!! Anything you want to know, just ask. Someone will have the answer for you.
    Charlie

Hi Dan,
    Thanks for your help.
    It is a forum much like this one where like minded people can ask question or just chat about their various programs and equipment.
    You can ask here, someone will help you out. I have built a cw keyboard and have used cw decoders in the past. So have some idea and experience with these things.

While you can send Morse that anyone out there can read with a computer, I'm not really sure I'd ever want to do it because the 'fun' with Morse (CW) is the physical part of it. I took my test in 1980, and have ALWAYS been hamstrung by the fact I can send it much faster than I can read it, and when I slow down, I make more mistakes. My natural CW sending speed is probably 25WPM on a standard up/down key. However, my reliable reading speed has never gone much above 14 WPM or so, and currently because of no use, probably much lower than 12 - BUT - I can still send accurately fast! My typing speed is even faster - so looking at what I have just typed, sending this as CW would probably still be on the first line. Morse is terribly inefficient for plain language, hence all the speed-shortcuts and abbreviations, invented when it was being used on telegraph wires, not radio!

Got a bit confused by your last bit
    You don't want to use Morse at all? I'm intrigued now?

The people here are a decent lot - we can answer most questions - just fire away!

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    You don't want to use Morse at all? I'm intrigued now?
    Everybody thinks I don't want to do morse. I do want to do morse but by using a computer.
    What I am/was looking for is a dedicated morse forum. I know the the good people on this form will help all they can. I just thought a dedicated morse forum would suit me better when asking questions about machine generated morse and the programs used with it.

How is a Morse code QSO, using computers to send and receive/decode, any different from teletype. The FUN part of operating CW is that you're doing it yourself, with no machines or computers getting in the mix.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Yep - there reason most CW operators use it is because they like it, NOT because it's a 'special' mode. It's slow, and the weak links are the operators - some who are amazing and others dreadful. I'm not trying to be funny, but using a computer is going to be very unsatisfactory for everyone really - in a way it's like saying you want to talk to somebody in French, but you don't want to actually learn French, you want to use Google translate.

CW is by necessity, slow. So unless your typing is slow, you will be constantly waiting, while your messages go out at the speed the others can read them. Probably 10-14wpm. You can set the computer ones to faster speeds of course, but who can read them? The experts. These experts can also spot machine sent CW very easily, so will they even want to respond to a machine?

I would NOT expect a warm reception from people who love CW, and have honed their skills using it towards somebody who just wants to chat, and can't really join in properly. Computer CW can be to many hams who use real CW, a bit of an insult.

You have the cart before the horse. When I was learning CW I tried the readers - even back then, they were very good, but they made me lazy and my instructor told me to dump it. The forums where CW people hang out spend hours discussing the merits of Iambic keys, squeeze paddles, straight keys, spring pressure and even how large a gap is required. You will have little to talk about if a machine does your CW. Want to be in the CW club? Then learn it!

Everyone thinks I don't want to do Morse
    You don't! You want a machine to do it!

Morse is a protocol for communication, like the thousands of other ones. It CW people that are the core of this side of the hobby. CW people have a skill others do not. Like most skills, it's protected and treasured, and to many, does make them a little better (human nature I guess). Would non-members of the exclusive society be welcomed? I never used it seriously, so am extremely rusty, but if I started to use it again, I'd be welcomed because I'm putting in the effort to improve. You just want access to the finishing post.

You would be like the policeman in 'allo 'allo - instantly spotable.

It looks like I ruffled a few feathers.
    In that case before it gets nasty I am no longer parcipitating in this topic.

No we're not being nasty at all, we're attempting to explain that Morse forums, or sub-forums in other boards are very, very into CW - It's a bit like trying to join a Windows forum when you are a mac user? No feather ruffled at all - but what you want to do is just plain odd? I'm trying to explain how annoying CW is when you type it. I just typed two lines, and in CW at 12wpm, it would just be up to the word 'sub-forum'. Text on a phone is hugely quicker than CW, so what are you hoping to get out of it, apart from watching the clock tick as the words slowly appear, one by one - AND are impossible to read because the software misunderstood the bad CW many folk send that a brain can decode but the machines can't.

You also need to remember that CW is merely a language of its own, so people don't usually talk much about it, unless it's to talk about teaching it, improving it and techniques for doing all this - none of which apply if you do it by machine.

So instead of leaving what you started, maybe you can explain what exactly you want to do - we're simply guessing in the absence of info. It just sounds very strange, so we've probably totally misunderstood what your aim is? I myself just can't work out what you're up to. I'd like to help, but I think we're on different lines somehow?

No feather rustled whatsoever - but nosiness turned to maximum!

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    Text on a phone is hugely quicker than CW
    Nay, not so! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t7OYuV2YXM
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Loved it! Thank you.
    Charlie

It looks like I ruffled a few feathers.
    In that case before it gets nasty I am no longer parcipitating in this topic.
    When it comes to CW computers and keyboards you will always upset the purists who think that the only way morse should be sent is via a hand key and received via the ears. Just ignore them my friend and take the NIKE approach to ham radio, JUST DO IT. If you want to do morse using a keyboard and decoder get out there and do it, as it is better to have someone doing some radio and making dits and dahs than having 20 self professed experts who never key up anything ever.

A few pointers from someone who started off using a decoder, take some time and learn the limitations of the software, do not try and rag chew with the bed wetters especially the bug and really bad timed straight key senders who think SWING is a thing, stick to doing contest and dx kinds of exchanges only "tu ur 5nn 73" stuff, because a lot of it is sent via keyboards itself and will decode easy, and finally, learn what your call sounds like so if the dx calls you in and the decoder fails, you can still make the exchange and not look stupid. Noisy bands like 40 and 80 are not the best for decoders maybe 70% effective on a good day, 20m and up where static crashes are not so much an issue, then 90% decodes are the norm from those who send nice tight 3:1 code, which most DX do and which most rag chewers done. Moral of the story here, stick to working the dx and contest stations.

Mostly, just get out there and have fun and over time, start to learn cw for real just because you can. I started out doing pretty much what you are doing, 2 years later I can send pretty good code at 18wpm and can receive enough to make SOTA and WWFF, contest and dx type exchanges with no tools required. Rag chew is a different matter, i miss 60% of what is going on, but hey, who cares anyway, it will improve over time, I am an amateur and not a professional. And if people dont like it, they can spin the dial.
    Last edited by Rob_P; Tue 31st Jan 2017 at 00:25.

Yah! What he said! With practice comes competence. With competence comes speed. Etc.
    Hang in there. These guys only mean well, with an especially hard passion for the CW love affair holding all of us together.
    I'm convinced that we are the reason CB hasn't taken over the communicating lines of the entire shortwave world!
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by K7KBN View Post
    How is a Morse code QSO, using computers to send and receive/decode, any different from teletype. The FUN part of operating CW is that you're doing it yourself, with no machines or computers getting in the mix.
    Fun is very subjective. What might be fun for you might not be fun for another. Someone with arthritis in their hands, or hand tremors might find using a key difficult and or painful, this would not be very fun no? Others might want to jump straight in and not spend the next 2 years learning enough to fit in your narrow view of fun either.

Most of my friends started out with keyboards and decoders and have transitioned onto keys and ears. I did the same. I do not have time to spend a few hours a week learning morse, I run a business, have a wife, kids and now grand kids, so my morse practice is the time i spend on the radio, thats it. So i took the short cut to being on air doing CW, i used a decoder. Its now my most used mode and I love it. It might take me another 2 or more years before my RX is proficient. But who cares really. I am 46 and not going to be dead anytime soon, so i got plenty of time to be good, but in the mean time, the decoder fills in the gaps in my proficiency. And most importantly I am having fun, my way and in the end, I am the only person I have to please.
    Last edited by Rob_P; Tue 31st Jan 2017 at 09:14.