Thread: MALtronix Multiband Vertical Antenna

Default MALtronix Multiband Vertical Antenna

Who can help to explain actually how this Maltronix HFV6010A antenna work?

I will be very please if you can explain the calculation of this antenna.

Specs:
    1. Fully extended lenght : 25ft
    2. Band/freq : 6mhz to 52mhz
    3. Elements : 5 pcs 6ft of Aluminium rods and stainless steel fittings
    4. Installation : Must be use with antenna tuner either manual, automatic or on-board ( transceiver with bultt-in ATU)
    5. Rated power : 600watts

Link: http://www.maltronix.com/installatio...ayinstallation

Hello,

There is NOT any technical information provided by the manufacture, how to mount this vertical is NOT provided nor if it needs Radials leaves an individual Amateur Radio Operator to determine this by themselves. Since this antenna is 25' / 7.14 m Tall with a Loading Coil mounted down near the bottom, this indicates that between an Automatic Antenna Tuner Unit and the Loading Coil allows the use of the antenna down near 6 MHz, the ATU would need to Tune out the Inductance as you use the higher Bands including 6 m. I would personally add a minimum of two Radials Per Frequency Band, i.e. 40 m, 30 m, 20 m, 17 m, 15 m, 10 m & 6 m to provide an active Ground Plane otherwise this antenna will not perform as well. JMHO

Dan
    WA9WVX

With a name like MALtronix I wouldn't get my hopes up. Experiment.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

I plan to build this antenna with the almost the same specification. After asking my friend, he said that this antenna is an end-feed antenna that using 4:1 balun.

So, I'm I right?

Quote Originally Posted by 9W2ZOW View Post
    I plan to build this antenna with the almost the same specification. After asking my friend, he said that this antenna is an end-feed antenna that using 4:1 balun.

So, I'm I right?
    NO, I don't think you're right because a 4:1 Balun doesn't appear like the White PVC enclosure on that vertical antenna. A 4:1 Balun would have a SO-239 on bottom and 2 Eyelet Screws coming out of both sides at the top looking like this example webpage:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/IgAAAO...uXa/s-l300.jpg

My evaluation is the PVC Tube has a Coil inside the tube and from what I read, You always need an Automatic Antenna Tuner to use that Antenna between 6 through 52 MHz. As I stated before You will need to supply a minimum of two (2) Radials Per Band of operation to have antenna to load up otherwise this project will end up wasting your time & money.

Dan
    WA9WVX
    Last edited by WA9WVX; Mon 12th Dec 2016 at 18:52.

Really appreciate your advice, WA9WVX.

I will try to build it and let all know the result.

Quote Originally Posted by WA9WVX View Post
    NO, I don't think you're right because a 4:1 Balun doesn't appear like the White PVC enclosure on that vertical antenna. A 4:1 Balun would have a SO-239 on bottom and 2 Eyelet Screws coming out of both sides at the top looking like this example webpage:
    I don't want to be argumentative but I'm guessing that this is an end-fed antenna and that the cylindrical enclosure contains an Unun, not a Balun. End-feds are unbalanced and high-impedence antennas and so require an Unun to be fed with coax. The Unun probably is either 4:1 or 9:1. End-feds do better with a counterpoise or the shield of the coax can serve that purpose. I'm guessing, from the photo of the antenna, that the manufacturer intends the shield to be used, since I see no external connection point that might be used to connect a counterpoise.

If this is an end-fed, then it would not require radials. However, the shield of the coax feed line will be carrying RF and you should provide a choke at the shack end to keep the RF out of your shack. You can do this by coiling 6 or 8 turns of the coax 15 or 20 cm in diameter just before it enters your shack. I believe that for the shield to be effective as a counterpoise, the coax would need to be at about 5 m long between the antenna and the choke. If you can, you might also try connecting 5 or 6 m of wire as a counterpoise to the earth (ground) of the SO-239 at the bottom of the Unun. This might eliminate the need for the choke. Experiment with lengths of wire for the counterpoise. If you use a separate wire counterpoise, you might also try moving the coax choke to the antenna end of the coax. Note that the counterpoise, whether it is a wire or the shield, should be elevated from ground level by at least half a metre or so, to prevent coupling to ground.
    Last edited by K5CPR; Mon 23rd Jan 2017 at 11:07. Reason: clarity; correct choke diameter; moving choke

Thank K5CPR. I'm really appreciate it.

By the way, it is possible to make 40m mono band vertical antenna by using around 35 feet or 10m of aluminium tubing. Then feds it with unun 9:1 or 4:1? So, we will not need to use tuner.

As example is COMTEK 40VA 40 Meter Vertical Antennas:

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/com-40va

What other members think about it? Do this antenna using unun 9:1 or 4:1?
    Last edited by 9W2ZOW; Fri 29th Jun 2018 at 15:37.

I made my raised 40 meter 1/4 wave vertical using a 35' (12m) bamboo sprig, zip tied 12ga solid insulated wire to it, even went so far as to make a 1' capacitance hat for it, which was probably not really necessary, and added 1/4 wave elevated radials for the ground plane to work. I would think in Malaysia bamboo of that caliber would be easy to come by; am I wrong? I mounted the bamboo sprig to a 21' (7m) steel pipe since I'm somewhat handy in the fabrication department. I used a piece of thin aluminum plate to mount an SO239 jack and the radials to and clamped the bamboo to the pipe with worm drive clamps like the ones used in automotive applications. Anyway, I feed mine with 75Ω television coax since I had a section handy, but I do use a tuner with it because either I made it too long or the capacitance hat added to the overall dimension enough that it is resonant @ 6.7mhz (oops!). I do not use a balun with this antenna and have no issues I can identify yet. I would take the antenna down and prune it but since I had surgery I can't manhandle stuff like I used to so that will have to wait. There is a picture of it on my QRZ page, but it's not really all that detailed unfortunately. Making this antenna was easy for me because I'm a scrounger of material, and will save things for years sometimes until I need it for some wild project. Some call it hoarding, I call it being cheap; you do what you have to for your hobbies, right?

Hopefully this inspired some creativity for you to try things out of the ordinary. Save some money over store bought and experiment. If you're like me, you're only out some time and spare materials in the attempt. Besides, it's FUN! GL, 73, Eric wz7u

Really appreciate it Eric. Many thanks for the idea. By the way, you are right. It is easy to find bamboo sprig here. I already have erected 5 of them in my base. The tallest one is approximately 13m.

So, this is my plan. I will use 1.5 mm insulated wire and make it around 10m for the vertical element. Then, I will use another 10m of the wire to make the elevated radial. I will start with 4 radials and compare its SWR. Next, I will use RG-58 cable to feed it. What your opinion, Eric?

By the way, I pray you will get well soon.

Regards,

9W2ZOW - Malaysia.