Thread: Things that make you go hmm!

Talking Things that make you go hmm!

We all listen to things that go on the air and and think some of these things are rather pointless....so what's your experience?

I will start.....

(from an english speaking point of view) why do people phonetically spell out their name to people who speak the same language?.....particularly and englishman speaking to an englishman.......i mean, is there an different way of spelling Dave or Peter or Bob etc? If you spell your name different to to the norm then I understand but c'mon!
    rgds

Rob
    HB9ETR/G0IFL

Fair comment to a point.

I usually spell my name phonetically as I have been called Bill a few times.

It all depends how similar your name is to others.

I'm grateful I don't live in Welwyn Garden City, that'd take some spelling out!

Kind regards,

Phil

Use CW and leave phonetics behind.

QTH HR IS LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWWLLANTY-
    SILIOGOGOGOCH, WALES.

Spelling from memory. I'm sure it isn't quite right, but you get the idea!
    Last edited by K7KBN; Sat 26th Nov 2016 at 05:42. Reason: Word too long.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Depends on the TX/RX quality of the QSO, doesn't it? I'm sure we've all had crystal clear conversations on FM with the needle hitting the end stop and no need to spell things out, but also DX contacts which are far removed from 5-9! In these cases, it's often necessary to use phonetics, just to get the details right for the log-book and QSL card.

I have to smile sometimes though. "Name here is Mike, that's Mike, India, Kilo Echo!"
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

Atmospherics, bad connection on power line near the house, a few hundred people sharing a similar frequency during a contest, etc. lots of reasons for saying the call sign and name using phonetics. And even in the U.S, an accent can toss around syllables such that phonetics are necessary.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license on Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    My Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

Tangmere, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom

Phonetics every time on HF no matter where or who, then when they ask again what's the name OM, you do it again in phonetics and they realise it was them not listening and missed it first time!!
    My pet hate, the name this way would be ABC so why isn't it then ??
    Pete - 2EFVL
    The QRM Formally Known As M6PAP!!
    www.selseylifeboats.co.uk
    www.amberleymuseum.co.uk

I never use phonetics for names - I agree, if you are Bob, then it's Bob. I often use nonstandard ones too - callsigns on HF in particular - so George 4 Radio Mexico Texas has more luck with non-English hams than the proper NATO ones. It also gives a small advantage in pileups - "the Mexico Texas station go ahead" working pretty well. The words with plosives cut through - bad luck the "sierra" always a problem for foreign tongues.

My pet peeve is the individuals that give you a signal report like 5 x 9 but then ask for your name & call letters again. If I'm 5 x 9 Who's BSing Who? Obviously the other ham operator doesn't understand how the R-S-T signal reporting system works! I generally give my name first Dan, then give it phonetically Delta Alfa November, then the RST report and my call WA9WVX.

A comment to Paulears, If you think the word Sierra is difficult, then think about "X" the last letter of my call sign. Most people want to insert the letter "I" in place, this got to me years ago but I'm so use to it now that it doesn't phase me. The letter "X" can only be pronounced as "X-Ray!" Heaven help the ham community if I were to use the word "XEROX!"

Dan
    WA9WVX
    Last edited by WA9WVX; Sun 27th Nov 2016 at 21:20.

I did once think about using 'Coca Cola Xylophone' for a bit of fun, but then thought better of it!
    Last edited by AndyG0CCX; Mon 28th Nov 2016 at 09:03.
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

When I'm working a string of JAs on SSB, using K 7 KIRIN BIIRU NIHON works amazingly well. "Kirin Biiru Nihon, dozo" is a good way to order "two bottles of Kirin beer, please" in a Japanese establishment offering such refreshment.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

In politically correct Britain - Z is beginning to cause some comment now. Madness of course, but we've become ultra sensitive to inferred discrimination. I work in theatre, and we've just removed an actor doing the sign of the cross because they are an atheist - plus in schools in History - the Swastika has been replaced by a cross in the books.

Sugar always seemed so much better than Sierra.