Thread: Contesting, My view

Default Contesting, My view

This is my view of what contesting is. Something like catching an unknown bus.
    I am standing at the stop on route 80m waiting for a frequency to pull up.
    No luck.
    Went and waited on the 30m route and waited for a frequency to pull up.
    No luck.
    I checked the timetable and looked for the frequency 3.5 MHz on 80m route it never turned up.
    I walked the length of of route 80m both up and down, nothing appeared, a complete lack of frequencies being used.
    I looked for SSB , CW, and FM types of frequencies.
    I had my money ready to buy a trip on a frequency of any sort.
    No luck.
    I read the papers and see that certain routes will be operating at specified times. I got to the routes to ride the frequencies but no luck.
    I have had frequencies on oddball routes that stop but will not let any body on.
    Never mind if I use the bus analogy nothing for ages then three together.
    Last edited by Sudden; Fri 25th Nov 2016 at 21:31.
    I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

Having a SDR with a waterfall spectrum display saves a lot of that. But, I'm not really into contesting. Feels like a drive by shooting ... feels like what it must feel like

Quote Originally Posted by Psi* View Post
    Having a SDR with a waterfall spectrum display saves a lot of that. But, I'm not really into contesting. Feels like a drive by shooting ... feels like what it must feel like
    Agreed. I see a practical need for contesting to ensure that there are enough bodies on the air at certain times to practice our skills but some guys seem to live for that. Good for them, there's always a contest going on, but I'm more interested in starting a conversation and maintaining it than exchanging technical info and then driving by.
    KG7NDC